CleanYourCar
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:17 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Hi guys - Phew! That was fun. After a week of snow and salt, our cars looked miserable and in dire need of rinsing down at the very least. I checked the weather forecast and at 1 degree I had worried about water freezing, but the sun was blazing and I actually stripped off one of my two jumpers it was so pleasant!

We had blazing sun yesterday and again today and the weather forecast shows me that we've seen the last of the snow, but are to expect freezing temperatures for a while ... down to -10 tonight :shock: ... best make sure I dry the cars off well, then and go around the door rubbers with some rubber dressing.

... to business ... white car first and a bucket of warm water with 1 fl oz per gallon of Serious Performance Ultra Gloss Shampoo which is lovely stuff. My car look like it had just come off some snow and ice stage on the WRC, which isn't far from the truth what with me waiting until the idiots were off the road and then bezzing around sideways everywhere :twisted: Huge fun ... just flick the car sideways with the handbrake and then control the slide with yer loud pedal :cool:

I digress ... the underlying Finish Kare products have kept salt well at bay. A simple wash was all that was required to get that gleaming white look back.

... and, of course, the sun went away just as I wanted to get my glamour shots :roll:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/sw ... CF0317.jpg

Black car? Same again, warm water with 1 fl oz per gallon of Serious Performance Ultra Gloss Shampoo.

... and you can have the glamour shot first before I go into a new product I tried out:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/sw ... CF0323.jpg

After washing down and drying, I noticed some swirling on the boot which I think is thanks to my good lady who cleared the snow off the car with a hand brush :shock: :oops: She did say she was really careful ... bless :lol: Anyway, good old Ash sent me a very generous sample bottle of Duragloss 671 to try out. MY LORD!!! It is sensational :shock:

I have really enjoyed the Duragloss 601/105 finish on my white car and had used the 652 pre-cleanser before, but found it a little too abrasive for our black car and much prefer to use Car-Lack68 NSC as a cleanser anyway. I have also read that 671 can be very greasy and it has been put down a little over on DW. Well, I found it a doddle to use and to remove. I used a microfibre pad to apply, spread it around and worked it in a little - it has a good long work time and then I removed the haze with a EuroW towel. It came off with only the slightest of pressure and I did notice the greasiness that has been mentioned. Never mind ... flip the towel over and give it a final buff. Gorgeous! See for yourself:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/du ... CF0308.jpg

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/du ... CF0309.jpg

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/du ... CF0310.jpg

I noticed that the finish had a creakiness, which made me wonder whether there is some kind of sealant in there too. Also, I noticed that the pad had removed some dirt, so I think there are some cleaners in there too. I think I can best describe this product as a cross between Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze and Meguiars #7 - it is oily and it seems to have a kind of acrylic finish. I know when I had a slightly drunken 'Mad Scientist' session and actually blended Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze and Meguiars #7 the result was very much the same. This seems to have something just a little more, though ... like a professional set of scientists who formulated it, no doubt :twisted:

Want more pictures?

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/du ... CF0313.jpg

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/du ... CF0316.jpg

So ... thanks Ash. This will be a product that I will certainly get in and can't wait to try it on my white car in a couple of months when I want to try out a Duragloss vs Finish Care product comparison to satisfy myself about which is the King for white cars.

Another one? :D

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/du ... CF0315.jpg

I topped that finish with some Rude Wax Super Wet Carnauba Wax - a product I have found seems to deliver Pinnacle-like look in winter :shock: :cool: I'm hoping for some interesting freezing tonight ...

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/#detailing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

OK Paul more of the "good" and less of the "old" Ash :wink:

I'm glad you like the DG 671 and it does look :shock: on yours. I'm very happy with FK1000P on mine at present but looking at yours I will be trying the 671 again in the spring Image. Do you think it should be classed as a glaze rather than a swirl remover?

I've found the Rude wax on ebay, great price! how highly do you rate it compared to other more expensive waxes you've tried and do you think it's a summer or winter wax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:12 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Ash wrote:
I've found the Rude wax on ebay, great price! how highly do you rate it compared to other more expensive waxes you've tried and do you think it's a summer or winter wax.

Did you get the little £6.75 bottle, or the litre bottle in other packaging?

I've yet to really venture into the more expensive/pure waxes. I think Collinite 915 is the most expensive I own, but I have tried Pinnacle Souveran which is an engineered wax with some cleaners and swirl fillers in there (and not a "pure" wax), but it is £40!

To be frank, I think 'Rude Wax' is pretty damn good. It is so easy to use and gives a real shimmering finish. Having done some more reading about it recently, I find that it does have cleaners and plainly does some swirl filling. It seemed to work well on top of Duragloss 671 and I would imagine it's fine on Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze and perfect on recently polished paint.

As for my opinion of classifying Duragloss 671 as a glaze, well ... I'm not too sure. It has a lot of cleaners in there and the creakiness of the finish might suggest more of a non-abrasive pre-wax cleaner with some oily fillers. Either way, I like it. I'll be doing a lot more reading about the product and see if I can get any hints about getting more out of it. Reading the product blurb on the Duragloss website, it reads more like an AIO wax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:15 pm 
Ruler of the Mitt

Nice Gents that DG 671 had produced a stunning gloss.

You two are really getting me thinking.

The sun came out today and in between the some what lack lustre England/Italy game I gave my Bella a good clean..

Of course I apologise at this point as - Yes I took no photo's. That will change as I fancy a now camera anyway.

Get back to the point Melch..

PJGH - you seem to have a plethora of products you constantly test against one another.

I use the same ones over an over that seem to produce great results for me.

Maybe I should diversify and try other products.. Mind you I managed to get a layer of 5050 on her and she does look sweet..

Tony would be pleased. "Henry" produced some great stripes on my passenger footmat too - may have to get the camera out tomorrow.. :D

DG do have a err "interesting" website..

What the heck is this ?? "Stumpy's Root Juice - Deer Attractant" :D

http://www.duragloss.com/catalog.asp?catid=108

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:32 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

I suppose it's like anything you get obsessed with - you end up chasing absolute perfection only to realise that you've had it all along. I could go back to a simple Car-Lack/Collinite session and be blissfully happy ... that's where I came into this little hobby of ours. I could go back to Autoglym and be happy.

This hobby is a little like good wine, or good whisky - yes, they're all good and even a nip of Famous Grouse or even Bells is okay every now and again. I think I've said it before, but you'd think my cupboard is filled with stuff. I try a lot of things once and pass them on - I keep a hardcore of products that I know I like to use, know will give me great results and will be the products around which any newcomer will be compared.

I am very settled on Duragloss 601/105 and Finish Kare 1000P on my white car. That said, I'll always be trying something new but when I look back through the photographs I know I am getting a better finish now. Also, when I wash the car and just a light rinse brings back a near perfect finish, I know I've got the right products for it.

The black car is just a lot of fun - you can see exactly what products are doing and if it doesn't quite hit the mark, I just spread some Car-Lack68 NSC over it and pop something on for an instant fix of deep, pooling black bling :cool:

We popped down to Sainsbury's this evening and the car looked awesome under streetlights - when we got back to the car with shopping I could see the reflection of the illuminated Sainsbury sign reflected in the boot and it was stunning. Photo opportunity at some point in the future.

This spring/summer I hope to branch into "posh waxes". I know I can get that self same result with cheaper products, but like whisky (ow wine), the expensive stuff does seem to have a certain finesse :cool:

I know you (LM) like your set routine and there's nothing at all wrong with that ... in fact, if you ask me about vodka there's only on thing I'll drink and that's 'Absolut'. Those days of using the same products over and over were a lot simpler, but it's a lot more fun now :wink:

... but yeah ... what the heck is Stumpy's Root Juice anyway? :shock: :?
... blimey! Just looking at it worked :D We've a deer running around the field behind us now ... going out for a better look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:07 pm 
Waffle Weave Master

stunning mate, the relections on the white one are very impresive, top job!.. :cool: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:15 pm 
Wash Mitt

Looking deep enough to fall through as usual :cool:

Must admit I cant get motivated to go out in this weather to get all the salt off the cars...must try harder, maybe tomorrow :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:53 pm 
Waffle Weave

Stunning work as usual, great reflections :cool:

'08 Golf R32
Cobra 427 replica, 5.8ltr Chevy V8
'56 GL-420
'13 2.0 Passat Highline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:54 am 
Waffle Weave Master

Great work as usual and top reflections - hoping to get out and do ours tomorrow - think I'll treat them to a coat of Z8 or Red Mist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:00 am 
Ruler of the Mitt

Quote:
This spring/summer I hope to branch into "posh waxes". I know I can get that self same result with cheaper products, but like whisky (ow wine), the expensive stuff does seem to have a certain finesse Cool

Posh waxes eh ? That will be interesting - I presume by posh you mean expensive.. Wouldn't start with Swiss or Zy would they ? :roll:

IMVHO they won't (for look or longevity) beat what you have at present - but will be worth trying if you want to splash the cash..

It's one of those things the law of diminishing returns.. but I hear what you say.. if you don't try you won't know.

I wonder how much is in the mind and the great marketing system.. We have bought something really expensive so it must be better right ? :lol:

I have always meant to try Swiss but when I had the opportunity I got fed up trying to contact them - oh and my CG collection produce great results :wink:

Didn't Mulder do a great wax test - spot which is which ?

The choice is wide and interesting.. I quite like the name Scuderia, but how a wax can be made especially for Italian cars is beyond me. Maybe it has special fillers to mask Luigi's dodgy spray techniques :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:05 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

... posh waxes as in "cost more than Collinite" :lol:

What I'd like to try is a more "pure wax" - I'll be starting off with some Dodo Juice and Victoria Wax and see where it goes from there. A pal of mine has deeper pockets, so I might be able to try some that he buys :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

pjgh wrote:
Ash wrote:

Did you get the little £6.75 bottle, or the litre bottle in other packaging?

I've yet to really venture into the more expensive/pure waxes. I think Collinite 915 is the most expensive I own, but I have tried Pinnacle Souveran which is an engineered wax with some cleaners and swirl fillers in there (and not a "pure" wax), but it is £40!

To be frank, I think 'Rude Wax' is pretty damn good. It is so easy to use and gives a real shimmering finish. Having done some more reading about it recently, I find that it does have cleaners and plainly does some swirl filling. It seemed to work well on top of Duragloss 671 and I would imagine it's fine on Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze and perfect on recently polished paint.

As for my opinion of classifying Duragloss 671 as a glaze, well ... I'm not too sure. It has a lot of cleaners in there and the creakiness of the finish might suggest more of a non-abrasive pre-wax cleaner with some oily fillers. Either way, I like it. I'll be doing a lot more reading about the product and see if I can get any hints about getting more out of it. Reading the product blurb on the Duragloss website, it reads more like an AIO wax.

I haven't got any Rude wax and thinking about it more I don't think I will. I've got quite a few different products in the cupboard at present and would like to play more with combinations of them, before breaking out the plastic card again. Also I went for an eye test yesterday and new pair with Varifocal lenses £££ :shock: so the bank needs to recover :lol:

I have to agree with you Paul it's a "Hobby" and yes I know I can go out and buy a kit by one manufacturer and get great results, but where's the fun in that :wink:

lord melch wrote:

DG do have a err "interesting" website..

What the heck is this ?? "Stumpy's Root Juice - Deer Attractant" :D

http://www.duragloss.com/catalog.asp?catid=108

Haven't seen that before LM it's not on the UK duragloss site, I wonder why :wink: They must be some good old country boys thereImage. Anyway with a name like that I just want to buy some; I don't care what it's for Image :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:47 pm 
Ruler of the Mitt

Ash wrote:
I have to agree with you Paul it's a "Hobby" and yes I know I can go out and buy a kit by one manufacturer and get great results, but where's the fun in that...

Anyway with a name like that I just want to buy some; I don't care what it's for Image :lol:

I agree Sir.. :lol:

I was just about to debate costs versus quality but "been there, bought (and sent back) the T-Shirt" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

lord melch wrote:
Ash wrote:
I have to agree with you Paul it's a "Hobby" and yes I know I can go out and buy a kit by one manufacturer and get great results, but where's the fun in that...

Anyway with a name like that I just want to buy some; I don't care what it's for Image :lol:

I agree Sir.. :lol:

I was just about to debate costs versus quality but "been there, bought (and sent back) the T-Shirt" :wink:

and what's wrong with the T-shirt :?: I have one for each day of the week :wink:

http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=333

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:10 pm 
Ruler of the Mitt

Ash wrote:

and what's wrong with the T-shirt :?: I have one for each day of the week :wink:

http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=333

At least they do reasonable sizes. The only one I bought was US LARGE :shock:

BIG mistake.. BIG BIG mistake.. :lol: