CleanYourCar
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: LSP in Winter.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:17 pm 
In a recent post, I suggested that a Forum member consider using Zaino Z2 as their LSP. My fellow Forum Admin, Ash, then chipped in with a very valid point...... Zaino Z2 is often difficult to apply in winter conditions.

There are so many LSP's on the market and each have their manufacturer's recomended directions for application. But digging a bit deeper can pay dividends....finding out the manufacturers Technical specifications can be vital at this time of the year. This is especially important when considering Sealants, which tend to be the favoured winter LSP.

The ambient temperature and humidity, time after application that the car should be kept dry, all play a part on how effective the sealant will work.

For example: Carpro's CQuartz (UK edition)

Recommended working temperatures: 3c to 40c
Keep surface dry for at least one hour after application
Wipe any water off the surface during the first 24 hours after application
Avoid washing with any soaps for the first 7 days

So today, unless you have a garage which has some heating source, even a product like the Cquartz UK (which was designed for the UK's climate) may not be suitable.

Applying a wax as a winter LSP is more straight forward. You can place the container into a warm bowl of water, to help soften the wax, and then apply it. The curing time is longer than in the summer, until it hazes. But a simple 'swipe' test will tell you when you can buff it off. Generally speaking, waxes work immediately after buffing and you don't have to worry about keeping the car dry for 24 hours.

So, before you even buy your favoured LSP, do some research first to ensure that you will have a suitable environment to use it effectively.

Post subject: Re: LSP in Winter.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:01 pm 
A very informative post Peter, I'm sure a lot of members will benefit ftom it.

What's your take on hybrid waxes and their use in low ambient temperatures?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:40 pm 
Quote:
What's your take on hybrid waxes and their use in low ambient temperatures?

Great question and I forgot to add that into my post. :oops:

My arsenal of LSP's include only 1 hybrid wax...Raceglaze Blue Hybrid. So I looked up their website to see if there was any technical data regarding minimum temperatures. Nothing was listed, so I contacted Mark, the owner of Raceglaze, and he suggested that it shouldn't be a problem applying his product at this time of year, nor should it effect the performance. However, what he did say, was that the hybrid wax container shouldn't be heated up, as the complex polymers and wax could seperate. He made another logical suggestion as to it's application....take a small amount out of the pot and apply it with the palm of your hand...body temperature melting the wax and polymers making it easier to apply.

Curing times would be longer than in the summer, but his product should be buffed as soon as it hazes over.

To test out his recommendation, Mark is going to apply some of this product before he leaves work today on a Range Rover. He'll get back to me periodically with performance results.

I also took a look at the DodoJuice's website to see what I could find for their Supernatural Hybrid Nano wax....again, nothing listed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:12 pm 
Good to know, pass on thanks to Mark for going that extra step :D