CleanYourCar
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:08 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:29 am
Posts: 38
Location: NW London
Hi all..

Headed off to Castle Combe this weekend for the Rally Day 2014 event. Had never been before, but what a day! Highlights for me were the Mk1 / 2 Escorts and the Metro 6R4s... I've never seen so many 6R4s in one place. I was lucky to get a passenger ride in one 20 years ago when a mate bought an ex-works one, it's a truly amazing piece of kit!

Anyway.. I took just shy of 1200 photos in the 6 or so hours I was there... I've edited and uploaded a few so far...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image



Cheers..

Ian


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:28 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:08 pm
Posts: 17403
Location: Abingdon-0n-Thames
Good pics :cool:

I went last year :wink:

Image35 by Ashley.R.G, on Flickr

Image6 by Ashley.R.G, on Flickr

_________________
Another tea-time, another day older
Peugeot 308 e-Hdi Allure, Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:47 am 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:46 pm
Posts: 3
Great photo's. I signed up to see if you took any of the afternoon track sessions? Around 15:50-16:10?

Cheers

Joe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:27 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:29 am
Posts: 38
Location: NW London
Ash wrote:
Good pics :cool:

I went last year :wink:




Sweet pics Ash... I really do love the classic Minis. Hoping I can get mine reshelled and rebuilt ready for this year's London to Brighton run as it's the 30th Anniversary of the run. We made the 25th anniversary and it was a great weekend!

The rally day was great... such diversity... definitely hoping the Focus RS Owners Club have a stand there next year... if not, will still be worth parking in the public car park for.



Cheers..

Ian


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:28 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:29 am
Posts: 38
Location: NW London
Longun wrote:
Great photo's. I signed up to see if you took any of the afternoon track sessions? Around 15:50-16:10?

Cheers

Joe.



Hi Joe..

The last photo I took was 15:55... so _may_ have something you're looking for? Any specific car or just random ones of the session?



Cheers..

Ian


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:24 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:46 pm
Posts: 3
Ian,

Both Random and specific. Random, as it was a Black diesel BMW on track at Rally Day (Hence it didn't really perk up any photographers) :D Specific, as it was me. Sold my Impreza and didn't want to waste the session so took the daily driver around :)

I appreciate you taking the time to check. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:41 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:39 pm
Posts: 2
Hi Ian,

Great pictures =D> in fact the last black and white one of the mini is me driving. Would love to know if you have any other pictures?

Many thanks,

Jon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:49 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:29 am
Posts: 38
Location: NW London
Longun wrote:
Ian,

Both Random and specific. Random, as it was a Black diesel BMW on track at Rally Day (Hence it didn't really perk up any photographers) :D Specific, as it was me. Sold my Impreza and didn't want to waste the session so took the daily driver around :)

I appreciate you taking the time to check. Thanks.


Hi Joe..

Looks like I did, but only 2 pics, and one isn't worth a carrot unfortunately as it's very blurry (I'm far from being a pro photographer and was experimenting mainly with action / panning shots etc). I've posted it on my cloud server as it's larger than the ones I posted on here so you can resize it better for whatever you might want.

Here's the best one of the 2.. again not perfect, but not _too_ bad.

I remember seeing you going round as I thought that the beema wasn't too slow for what looked like a daily.. I also moved out of your way when you were leaving too IIRC :D

I keep pondering on whether to take my Mk2 Focus RS on a track day, but being my daily too, get paranoid that even _I_ do an OK job of it, someone else will ruin my day for me.. hah.

Anyway... sorry I don't have any more pics of you / your car.. hopefully the one posted though is OK.



Cheers..

Ian


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:53 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:29 am
Posts: 38
Location: NW London
jonwesty wrote:
Hi Ian,

Great pictures =D> in fact the last black and white one of the mini is me driving. Would love to know if you have any other pictures?

Many thanks,

Jon



Hi Jon..

First of all, lovely motor! I've got a real soft spot for the _proper_ Mini.. as does my better half (she had a Mini 40 as her first car) :D

I do have probably a dozen pics of your Mini... I'll get them edited and post a link for you. I'll do them all as full colour and if you want any done as B&W (either crisp or "noisy"), let me know which ones and I'll edit those too for you (I did the one posted as I did to try and make it look like a period magazine shot or something like that anyway :) ).

FWIW.. here's our Mini as it was just before we did the London to Brighton in 2010..

Image

and unfortunately, after someone in a Merc pulled out across us after I was all but home.. we ended up with this..

Image

Currently looking to re-shell it. Sits as a 1293cc with roller-tip rockers, dual valve springs, highlift cam kit, quad core (I think) rad and full original spec RC40 exhaust.

What spec are you running on yours? :D



Cheers..

Ian


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:28 am 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:29 am
Posts: 38
Location: NW London
Jon..

Edits done. Turned out I took 32 of your lovely Mini.. but out of those, these ones (9 in total) are the best of the bunch... hope you find them OK. Clicking on the thumbnails, you can then right-click on the images and save them.. they may take a while to load as they're 6000x4000px and most average 7-8MB per shot.



Cheers..

Ian


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:45 am 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:46 pm
Posts: 3
Ian.H wrote:
Longun wrote:
Ian,

Both Random and specific. Random, as it was a Black diesel BMW on track at Rally Day (Hence it didn't really perk up any photographers) :D Specific, as it was me. Sold my Impreza and didn't want to waste the session so took the daily driver around :)

I appreciate you taking the time to check. Thanks.


Hi Joe..

Looks like I did, but only 2 pics, and one isn't worth a carrot unfortunately as it's very blurry (I'm far from being a pro photographer and was experimenting mainly with action / panning shots etc). I've posted it on my cloud server as it's larger than the ones I posted on here so you can resize it better for whatever you might want.

Here's the best one of the 2.. again not perfect, but not _too_ bad.

I remember seeing you going round as I thought that the beema wasn't too slow for what looked like a daily.. I also moved out of your way when you were leaving too IIRC :D

I keep pondering on whether to take my Mk2 Focus RS on a track day, but being my daily too, get paranoid that even _I_ do an OK job of it, someone else will ruin my day for me.. hah.

Anyway... sorry I don't have any more pics of you / your car.. hopefully the one posted though is OK.



Cheers..

Ian


Ian,

Great shot, thanks for sharing. Appreciate you taking the time to find it and post it. You've captured the motion really well.

I think I remember you moving, thanks for that too :D

Was a great day. If you've not done one before I'd recommend a track day. For the most part the track etiquette is good at events like RallyDay. Once you've done one you'll get addicted and also more confident to do more. I did one back in 2007 and haven't stopped since. Always do RallyDay and normally an action day at Combe as well. They are dedicated Track days with a similar setup to the RallyDay event.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Joe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:55 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:39 pm
Posts: 2
Ian.H wrote:
Jon..

Edits done. Turned out I took 32 of your lovely Mini.. but out of those, these ones (9 in total) are the best of the bunch... hope you find them OK. Clicking on the thumbnails, you can then right-click on the images and save them.. they may take a while to load as they're 6000x4000px and most average 7-8MB per shot.



Cheers..

Ian


Ian,

Firstly can I say a big thank you for taking some great pictures and secondly for get them sorted and made available to me. You are a true hero! =D>

It's so sad to see a mini in such a sorry state from your unfortunate accident, she looks very tidy and sounds like she was nearly ready for some track time and some serious fun. :cool:

This is my fathers 1969 MKII Mini Cooper which I was allowed to blast around the track throughout the Rally Day. You can't quite see my Dad screaming in the passenger seat to slow down! :lol:

We both take part in stage rallying and so she's prepared to historic specification for the MSA homologation. Recently undergone a lengthy six year complete rebuild (by previous owner) into the condition you see today, although my father has had to tighten some of the loose ends and add some polish. We actually won best presented car in our last rally down in Cornwall back in July this year.

With regards to what she's running:

Brian Slark race engine 107bhp at 6,500rpm
Polished and ported head, full race cam, lightened and balanced flywheel and stainless lightened twin chain cam pully.
High pressure oil pump, twin plate clutch strait cut close ratio gearbox with Kad quickshift.
Maniflow 3 branch exhaust.
AP 2 pot front brakes rear minifin drums.
Highlows all round with adjustable shocks.
Kad Bias brake adjustable pedal box with twin master cylinders.

All this = fun!!

Again thanks so much for spending the time and making these pictures available.

Cheers,

Jon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:04 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:29 am
Posts: 38
Location: NW London
Longun wrote:
Ian,

Great shot, thanks for sharing. Appreciate you taking the time to find it and post it. You've captured the motion really well.

I think I remember you moving, thanks for that too :D

Was a great day. If you've not done one before I'd recommend a track day. For the most part the track etiquette is good at events like RallyDay. Once you've done one you'll get addicted and also more confident to do more. I did one back in 2007 and haven't stopped since. Always do RallyDay and normally an action day at Combe as well. They are dedicated Track days with a similar setup to the RallyDay event.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Joe.



Hi Joe..

Glad the pic's OK :)

Indeed it was a great day!

Maybe I'll pluck up the courage to take the RS out next year if I still have it.. it's definitely an itch I think I need to scratch :-k



Cheers..

Ian


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:14 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:29 am
Posts: 38
Location: NW London
jonwesty wrote:
Ian,

Firstly can I say a big thank you for taking some great pictures and secondly for get them sorted and made available to me. You are a true hero! =D>

It's so sad to see a mini in such a sorry state from your unfortunate accident, she looks very tidy and sounds like she was nearly ready for some track time and some serious fun. :cool:

This is my fathers 1969 MKII Mini Cooper which I was allowed to blast around the track throughout the Rally Day. You can't quite see my Dad screaming in the passenger seat to slow down! :lol:

We both take part in stage rallying and so she's prepared to historic specification for the MSA homologation. Recently undergone a lengthy six year complete rebuild (by previous owner) into the condition you see today, although my father has had to tighten some of the loose ends and add some polish. We actually won best presented car in our last rally down in Cornwall back in July this year.

With regards to what she's running:

Brian Slark race engine 107bhp at 6,500rpm
Polished and ported head, full race cam, lightened and balanced flywheel and stainless lightened twin chain cam pully.
High pressure oil pump, twin plate clutch strait cut close ratio gearbox with Kad quickshift.
Maniflow 3 branch exhaust.
AP 2 pot front brakes rear minifin drums.
Highlows all round with adjustable shocks.
Kad Bias brake adjustable pedal box with twin master cylinders.

All this = fun!!

Again thanks so much for spending the time and making these pictures available.

Cheers,

Jon



Hi Jon..

No problem at all.. glad the pics are OK for you :)

I will re-shell it at some point (trying to find a decent shell at the right price has been an issue as currently I can't warrant the price of a new Heritage one).. Clare's always looking through the trader and various other places for a donor vehicle.

Your Dad's Mini is truly awesome and the spec is great! I'd love to get half way close to something like that.. but might have to wait until the kids have at least finished school!

I'll be heading out to the Tempest Rally again this year to try and get some more pics (last year's event was really good, but I think there was only one Mini there).. almost seems like that was what they were really made for :D

My Dad also had a Mini back in the day (was a Mk1 850) and he's pretty proud of the fact it was the first (and I believe only) car he's ever had the clock go back to zero on (although I think the clock only went to 99,999 rather than 999,999 like most modern cars) and that he'd actually driven every one of those miles.

Thanks for sharing the info on your car.. truly is an excellent example of British motoring :D



Cheers..

Ian


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:10 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:04 pm
Posts: 99
RS200 followed by an Integrale :cool: thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group