CleanYourCar
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:05 pm 
Wash Mitt

Always love a good wheel brush, had a few over the years, some I've binned, some I've kept. My current fave are the EZ Detail brushes. I am a little disappointed with the current EZ's though, the bristles don't seem to last as long as the old EZ's.

So my current line is:

What we've got (from left to right) is:

A £1 fence painting brush

One of a set of Wheel Woolies (I have the rest but thought it was pointless to add them)

Vikan Extra long and a Vikan Soft. Don't tend to use these tbh, the bristles are a bit hard.

The two EZ's. The Daytona being maybe a couple of years old, while the bristles are soft they haven't IMO stood up as well as the original EZ I have, which is maybe 4 years old. With regards the wheel woolies, it's not a case of not getting on with them, but a case I feel bristle type brushes rinse better in a bucket. I use the woolies as a secondary rinse.

Right so the new kid on the block is:

The latest Vikan brush, called the Vikan professional I believe. Out of the box the stem is quite rigid and the bristles feel firmer than either of the two EZ's, but not as firm as the original Vikans. In comparison:

The bristles themselves appear to be longer as well as more of them due to the brush being longer. The nipple at the end is heat shrunk so won't come off (the very first EZ's were glued and after a month or so of use would fall off never to be seen again)

Price wise the brush is currently being sold by other traders at less than the price of an EZ (£20), which could mean it's a bit of a bargain in comparison.

In a couple of days time will be my first opportunity to use, I don't expect there to any surprises, more is how it lives up long term.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:18 pm 
I use one of these...

Only £2.50 and lasted over a year! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:27 pm 
Wash Mitt

They work and possibly do last for a year plus. My experience is after a week or two the fibres become all compacted and look like something my dog's chewed on. Sorry not for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:18 pm 
Really?! Mine has been fine. How long ago was it? I did hear through the grape vine they did improve them as the tip kept falling off as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:11 pm 
Wash Mitt

Mine was a Silverline about a year and a half back. If your gentle then I suppose it would be fine, but I like to be a bit strong with them. Not too strong though as I've never snapped an EZ.

The new Vikans though are huge in comparison. What I was wishing for is EZ to make their brush better by giving it a plastic shaft. I don't know of anyone who bends them to get behind spokes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:20 pm 
Raceglaze make these bendy brushes...and only £4 each :D

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care-exterior/car-care-exterior-accessories/race-glaze-universal-wheel-cleaning-brush/

Last edited by willington on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:20 pm 
Wash Mitt Wonder

Standing your EZ'S in a bucket of warm water will put some life back into them.

Michael

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Polishing-Booth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:52 pm 
Wash Mitt

The Polishing Booth wrote:
Standing your EZ'S in a bucket of warm water will put some life back into them.

Michael

Yep tried that did ok, but not quite like new. The bristles on the older ones are definately better, but it's not like either are unusable, there's plenty of life in both. I just wandered if the new brush was a better than EZ copy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:00 pm 
Wash Mitt

Quick update- had my first chance to use the brush today. Seems a really good alternative to the EZ's. As the bristles are a bit more firmer it'll keep keep it's shape longer, it also means it's great at lifting the crud from the wheel.

The negatives are- due to the firmness of the bristles you do get more splash back and the rubber shield on the stem is a bit baggy, leading to a feel of cheapness.

HTH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:50 pm 
Wash Mitt

willington wrote:

You can get those brushes from Tesco for about £2 and they are complete pants.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:16 pm 
Thats good news...I didn't buy one! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

I use one of these microfibre brushes because they work well with ONR :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:48 pm 
Wash Mitt

Ash wrote:

Try one of the wheel woolies, haven't tried those, but the woolies definately reach the back of the wheel.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:17 pm 
Sponge

I use my black Vikan to be honest for most of the wheel washing, I then end up using the EZ brush (which is around 3 years old) after the initial hit which isnt as caked in it and seems to get further into the back of the wheel with ease?! :lol:

However, if i start off with the EZ brush, i find that it has a tendency to throw all the brake dust and grime off there on to myself when they are being washed.. Which is one of the reasons why i use the vikan as i dont get it with that..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:37 am 
Site Admin

blazebro wrote:
Ash wrote:

Try one of the wheel woolies, haven't tried those, but the woolies definately reach the back of the wheel.

I've no problem with reaching the back of the wheels with the brush I have. Yes the wheel woolies look good but the cost is way over the Kent one :!: