CleanYourCar
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Poorboys Wheel Sealant
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:54 pm 
Sponge

Hi

This product is from Tim at cleanyourcar.co.uk. Its £11.95.

I ordered this products when I bought my Golf GTI as I knew the 18" Monza 2 wheels are very very delicate due to their brushed metal look.

I thought a decent wheel wax will keep the carp off them reducing the damage abrasive cleaning can do to bare metal wheels like the ones I have.

This product has a very sweet smell and is a strawberry red in appearance. A pleasure to use. Its soft, no need to get it warm with an applicator pad before applying. A little goes along way with this, so dont go mad.

I applied all over the wheel and left a good 20-25 minutes (think the tub says 15 mins) and then buffed off with a microfibre. The results are good to look at.

As you can see from the above picture, the product leaves a deep rich shine. It looks great. However, it aint all good news I feel with this product. After 3 layers I thought it would give good protection against the elements - I find it needs to be reapplyed after every wash to keep the shine and average dirt protection. It does not seem to be that durable IMHO, dirt clings to the wheel quite heavily.

I found Collinite No. 476S Wax just as good when applied to my wheels(even though not a dedicated wheel wax) as it kept alot of the road dirt off the wheels. Im going to say, due to the construction and finish of my wheels, it maybe why I found this wax not 100% true to its descripition. You may find it different with normal wheels.

Still, a very good product that leaves an excellent deep shine (worth it just for this alone) and will bring any neglected wheels up to standard :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:16 pm 
Sponge

Good write up,

I did a 1,000 mile review of this for another web site I spend my time on, so here it is for your reference.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I started off by cleaning the wheels with shampoo, at the same time as the rest of the car I may add.

The after I'd gone for a blast around the block I took them off, each corner at a time (fitting the spare as security), I also changed the front > back & vise versa.

Upon removing the wheels I cleaned all the bits of Tar, Grease & any other crud still on them up with some brake cleaner, good stuff for disolving tar BTW.

Next I gave them a quick wipe over with NXT quick detailer, just to remove any brake cleaner left over.

The wheel sealant instruction say apply a coat of your favourite Polish/Wax, so I applied a coat of Klasse Sealant Glaze(same stuff as Carlack 68) , with this being Acrylic I thought it would be the best for the extreme conditions the wheels have to endure.

Finaly, the Wheel Sealant, I applied 1 coat to the rear wheels & 2 coats to the fronts, as they always get very dirty, compaired to the rears.

I guess the key to stopping anything stick is a smooth surface, & the finsh left was ultra slick

Klasse SG (same stuff as Carlack 68)

Klasse SG + Wheel Sealant

Not bad for 87,000 miles are they

Before & After

I also took the chance to dress the inside face of the tyres too, just to add a little extra protection to the rubber.

I've wiped my finger on the rim @ 6 o'clock position to give you an idea on how the crud & brake dust are sticking, or not as it should be.

125 Miles

275 Miles

Update: 695 Miles

UPDATE:

860 Miles

UPDATE:

1,000 Miles

This set of pictures show 1200 miles worth of road crud & brake dust,

The 1st set show the wheels cleaned with nothing more than a high pressure jet of water,

Before:
After:
The 2nd set of pictures show the wheel with Megs Wheel Brighten mixed 1-4 & a high pressure jet of water was used to remove the crud.
Before:

After:

As you can see, both images of the cleaned wheels look very similar, neither had been cleaned with a sponge or wheel brush yet either.

A worthy addition to any detailers collection

:cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:56 pm 
Ruler of the Mitt

More info..

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/vie ... php?t=1180

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

Image You must do a lot of miles, I couldn't leave my wheels for months before cleaning them :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:49 am 
Wash Mitt Wonder

Good review, thanks for sharing!

I do have a tub, but never really got on with it. I think i'll get it out and give it another go

Si

New site and store - www.exoticdetail.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:26 am 
Waffle Weave Master

Both good write up's.

I use this stuff and find it gives good results, both shine and protection, Just needs to be applied alittle more often than a wax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:39 pm 
Sponge

Hi...
I consider myself a rookie in the "detail art" but in some points i disagree with what was said.
I call this product a sealant and i think it really works great. I have applyed it on my wheels 3 months ago an it's still there. I simply love it. Because it turns my wheels very easy to clean. After you applyed it you cant clean your wheels with high pressure water or with wheel cleaners, because that will remove the sealant. You will only need a car shampoo and a brush. This way the sealant is not removed. I really feel that I will not need to apply this product no more than once or twice a year.
One thing i've done was cleaning and polishing the wheels before apply it, this way it lasts longer. I rate it one of the best for its function.
Regards.

Post subject: once or twice a year !!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:36 pm 
Sponge

if you read the side of the tub it tells you to apply three times before you have a proper seal :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:15 pm 
Wash Mitt God

This might be a daft question but you wouldnt be spraying Bilberry on the wheels once youve applied this right, just a sponging yeh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:54 pm 
Wash Mitt

GIZTO29 wrote:
This might be a daft question but you wouldnt be spraying Bilberry on the wheels once youve applied this right, just a sponging yeh?

Yeh sponge would be fine, very easy to clean :), you could use bilberry if you really wanted to though, just dilute it to 1 - 10. But just a bit of shampoo and a sponge does the job, love PB's wheel sealant