CleanYourCar
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:46 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Guys, I have made a formal review of the new Autoglym HD Cleanser over on DW, following them sending the retail box to me for review:
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=146034

I followed on with HD Wax and made a personal review of that, too:
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=146043

I am as impressed with HD Wax as I think everyone is here, who has tried it. While I hoped for a good wax, it certainly exceeded my expectation - well done Autoglym!!!

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/#detailing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:06 pm 
Wash Mitt

excellent write ups there paul and high praise for the HD wax especially from a guru like yourself who has tried a wax or 2?

it looks like AG have got a winning combo on their hands

colin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:30 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

The wax is ace! Behind the scenes I do a scoring which adds up to the total - it surprised me how low it scored actually, given how I would emotively speak very highly of it. The cleanser is really good and together they do make a cracking combo.

... and no, I wasn't swayed at all by the outlandish packaging ... well, maybe a little :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:56 pm 
Wash Mitt God

Great review Paul. I said a while back to Chrisp and R32_Dub when using Petes 53 for the 1st time that i thought it was very similar to HD Wax. Bare in mind Paul it can be had for £20 on ebay! I got mine from a nissan dealers called 2005holdscroft and it came within 2 days as i ordered it on the sunday. I had to pay £5 for recorded delivery so it came to £25 which is still nearly half bat! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:30 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

GIZTO29 wrote:
... it can be had for £20 on ebay! I got mine from a nissan dealers called 2005holdscroft and it came within 2 days ...

You pointed me to this seller a while ago and I kept it in my wish list for a later date ... luckily, they still had some stock in at that price when I wanted a tub to complete my review of the HD Cleanser. Mine arrived the very next day!

There's some heavy rain expected tomorrow, so I'll be able to see beading after a good few hours of curing. I didn't want to hose fresh water over just for beading shots today. I can gather them later.

I am more familiar with Chemical Guys Pete's 53 given that I have used it in a number of conditions, from high summer sun to early spring crispness ... and rain. I think that has a very definite depth that is hard to describe unless the person you're describing it to has used Swissvax Best of Show and seen what that does to fine paintwork. I will certainly continue to use this wax, probably on my own cars but certainly on others that I look after and look forward to seeing it in other seasons.

It is very definitely a mark up from the £15-£20 waxes, like Chemical Guys XXX Hardcore Paste Wax, Collinite 476S, 915, the Nattys waxes that I've used (white and blue), Meg's #16, 26 and 3M Show Car Paste Wax. Of all those waxes, I think the 3M wax comes the closest with what I have described as "a classy gloss".

The wax is much more akin to Chemical Guys Pete's 53 and perhaps 50/50 for removal. I think it is outclassed by the Dodo Juice waxes and Pinnacle Souveran and certainly Swissvax Best of Show (to cite the more posh waxes that I have used).

It is a good mid-range wax and used after their HD Cleanser, represents a really good system for maintaining a well kept car. I cannot emphasise the ease of removal enough. Application was not the easiest, but certainly in no way difficult.

It's made it into my wax bag, which holds a very select group of waxes. It may even make it into my 'detailing' bag, which holds all the polishes, pads, tape and associated paraphernalia in one place for me to grab and dash to any one of the cars that I look after. At the moment the 3M wax is in that bag and only for special cars do I pop another wax in, specifically selected for the job.

Yes, I am very impressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:32 pm 
Waffle Weave Wonder

Nice review, I like HD wax :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:20 pm 

I have been a fan of HD for a long time, first used it on a DB9 in May 2008!

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/vie ... hlight=db9

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:38 am 
Wash Mitt

im getting some of this very soon,but after i have used the applicator pads and waashed them in microfiber wash how do i restore the moister in them,and is it ok to use this hd wax with no hd cleanse,and also after iv waxxed the car with it do i just put a layer of dodo juice nfs or simila or do i apply that before the wax.tthanks alot help much apprecated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:54 am 
Ruler of the Fluffy

You don't need to use Autoglym's HD Cleanser before the wax - I will say this: they work very well together! You could use AG SRP before hand, or any other "all in one" polish ... ... or any "proper" polish ... or a paint cleanser, like the one from Sonus or Dodo Juice Lime Prime/Lite. You could even use a pure polish, like Meguiars #7 or #81.

Essentially, the surface should be clean and cleansed.

The applicators MUST be moist. If they have dried, simply immerse in water for a few minutes until they come back to life. When you wash them out, I usually just use a little car shampoo and clean them under running hot water. Wring them out and pop them back in the zip lock bag - this should keep them moist.

Apply the wax, leave it to haze and the buff off - you'll love how gently the wax removes.

LEAVE IT AT THAT! No need to top with another product.

You mentioned Dodo Juice Need for Speed, so I guess you have this - you'd use this before the wax - it is simply an "all in one" style product.

Maintenance? Any shampoo should do fine. I would avoid using QDs or other drying aids, which will interfere with the finish and how it beads. Simply rinse off the shampoo and then rinse the car with free-flowing water ... finally, pat dry with a drying towel.

Enjoy :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:56 am 
Waffle Weave Wonder

I would use NFS before the wax, I rinse out the applicators and squeeze out the excess water and put them back in the packet they came in. I have never used NFS before so it would be good to have a second opinion. I use Carlack 68 NSC followed by Meguiars #7 and then two layers of HD wax normally, sometimes I sandwich the layer of #7 between the wax which works very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:10 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

That trick of sandwiching an application of Meguiars #7 between wax layers works really well for improving depth on well polished paint. I have found (and Dodo Juice confirm this) that Lime Prime Lite can be used over a wax gently in much the same way - this helps to clean up a perhaps dirty layer of wax if you're adding the second layer after a week, or so, and prepare for the second layer of wax.

That's quite an advanced technique, antman. I wouldn't worry about this just yet - concentrate on getting the car clean, prepared and a layer of wax on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:23 pm 
Wash Mitt

ok,i will snow foam the car first leave it a few minits,then wash with dodo juice sour power and then rinse the car again,and then pat dry with a drying towel then when its all nice and dry add two layers of hd wax leave for a few minits to cure and then buff of with a microfibre towel supplied,and finaly dress my trim and tires and done.
does that sound rite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:24 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

The routine sounds fine - two layers is overkill. The second layer will simply remove the first layer, but does have the benefit of ensuring that an even layer has been applied. Given how easy this wax is to apply, it is simply not necessary to apply two layers.

I made one layer in my review and after some filthy weather, including snow and ice strong beading was still very apparent after the first wash. If you want to add a second layer, do the after the first wash.

One MAJOR word of warning!!!

The red cloth that comes with the kit should be washed on its own - it is not colour fast and will leak red dye into your wash, even to 40 degrees. It seems to do this for at least a couple of washes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:42 pm 
Wash Mitt

ok thanks for that i will wash that cloth seperatly,also lately i have been useing 1 coat of dodo nfs and followed by a coat of megs wax to seal it in,

but as i now have some ag hd wax you say i only need 1 coat of that on its own,or shall i put some nfs under the hd wax and leave the nfs to cure for an hour and then apply the hd wax on top.thanks for your help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:15 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

NFS is part cleanser, part light polish and part wax/sealant - it is a product that we tend to call an AIO (all-in-one). It can be considered similar in purpose to AG SRP or Car-Lack68 NSC. Like any AIO, it can be used on its own or be topped off with another product for a longer lasting finish.

So, yes, feel free to use it under any paste wax, HD Wax included - it will prepare the paint ready for waxing.