CleanYourCar
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:12 am 
Sponge

Hi all, I come to you for help in regards to my sanity!

On Sunday I picked up a second hand BMW e46 in a lovely Orient Blue colour.

Unfortunately when I picked it up it had a rather large bit of bird poo on the bonnet. I could't bare to leave it and drive my new car home with a big pile of carp on the bonnet so when I stopped to get fuel I had a little look around for a bucket of water and a sponge or anything. I couldn't find anything and this is where my impatience got the better of me. I knew I should just leave it and wait until I could spray it with some water but I thought I would just try and get the worst off. So I spat on a tissue and gave it a little rub. It got some off but it was pretty stubborn so I came to my senses and left the rest until I was home.When I got home I gave what was left a good spray and then gently went over it with a wash mitt which got the rest off (you can see on the top left of the bonnet where I have cleaned it off).

The next day I was showing one of my friends around the car and commenting on how good I thought the paint looked for its age. Then the damage caught my eye. Where the bird poo was there is now a 4cm square patch of fairly deep and fairly noticeable (by me, from a certain angle anyway!) scratches. It looks very similar to this:

The rest of the paintwork is by no means perfect on the car but on the bonnet this is the only thin that really stands out to me and it is massively stressing me it out that it is me that has caused it, about 20 minutes in to owning the damn thing. I know bird poo can be chemically damaging to your paint if it's left on, but I had no idea it is so aggressive in terms of it's ability to scratch it!

I have a bottle of Auto Finesse Tripple and some Bilt and Hamber Finis wax so I gave the bonnet a good clean and then made a good few applications of Tripple to the scratches and also the bonnet as a whole and then finished with wax. I initially thought I had pretty much hidden them. There are lots of swirlmarks and other light scratches on the bonnet and all I wanted was to hide the bird poo scratches in with them. I'm not looking for it to be perfect. Unfortunately in certain light and certain angles all I can notice scratch wise on the bonnet is my little patch of poo scratches :( This breaks my heart!

I did try to get some pictures of the scratches but I couldn't really make them visible to my phone camera. I can however just about feel some of the scratches with my nail. Should a good machine polish get this out or at least hide it a bit more? If so is there anyone around the Maidstone area who might like to come and offer their expertise for the right price? Or can anyone recommend where I should take it?

Thanks in advance!
Jamie.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:29 am 
They look like they should come out with a machine polish or even, as it's a very small area, you might get them out by hand, either way you'll certainly reduce them.

I reckon some helpful member in your area will be along soon to offer assistance for the price of a sausage butty and a brew or similar.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:37 pm 
Wash Mitt

should polish out with a german applicator and some spit :-k haha

Best to hit it with a german applicator and some M205 - should take it out pretty easy. If you want something more "off the shelf", pop into halfords and grab some G3 scratch remover paste - that should do it too.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:31 pm 
Sponge

Some birds eat grit to help with digestion. You might have been unlucky and got one with a bit of grit in hence the scratches. Best of luck with the correction. I feel your pain

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:58 pm 
Sponge

I have managed to get a picture of the scratch:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:26 pm 
Wash Mitt

Try by hand as mentioned above... If it doesn't remove it'll reduce the severity somewhat :)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:03 pm 
Sponge

I think I've decided I want to go the professional route. Can anyone recommend me somewhere in the South East?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:06 pm 
Sponge

Cheers for all your suggestions by the way, I just feel that these scratches are possibly a bit deeper than they look in that picture and I just want them to be removed as best and as safely as possible!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Elfin wrote:
I think I've decided I want to go the professional route. Can anyone recommend me somewhere in the South East?

http://www.qualityreflects.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:28 pm 
Sponge

hi mate
i come across this problem every day at work with working on bmw cars that will never polish out by hand or with a buffer the way to do it is to use 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper and wet sand the scratches out until you cant see them then use a fast cut compound with a buffer and polish your paint back till you get a nice shine job done

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:22 pm 

Apologies been away for 2 weeks, I think Dean at Hi-Shine is much more local to you. Great chap, give him a ring.

http://www.hi-shine.co.uk/