CleanYourCar
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rubber trim.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:45 am 
An often neglected feature of our detailing process is cleaning, re-nourishing and protecting rubber trim, hoses, door and window trim.

If left, these will dry out, crack, cause leaks and will need to be replaced....and we all know how expensive and fiddly this can be!

For example...a drivers window seal, for my old Saab, can cost between £26 - £95 on Ebay.

There is a simple and inexpensive way of not having to replace these....don't let the rubber parts get into that condition in the first place!

Clean the rubber parts with an all purpose cleaner, aggitating them with a detailers brush and throughly rinse and dry. Then apply 'seal feed' until the rubber can no longer absorb the product. 'Seal feeds' are readily available and don't always need to be expensive...Sonax make Gummi Pflege (translated into English.....rubber polish) is inexpensive but Zymol and Swissvax's are expensive. Indeed, you need to shop around...in my research, I found that BMW have their own labelled product costing £52, but is identical to the Sonax Gummi Pflege costing about £6! An alternative could be a 100ml bottle of Boots own label Glycerene which can be applied....costing £1.20.

These products soak into the pores of the rubber...even on old rubber and restore their elasticity. Soon will be gone those leaks around the windows and the window seals freezing solid in the winter months.

I wouldn't consider using these products on tyres...if the rubber has started to crack, then the tyre needs to be replaced.

For tyres, there is a long lasting generic product which will prevent drying out/cracking. Called Rubber Dub (or DDJ's own Tyromania), it's a canauba wax based (almost like a shoe polish) which is easily spread upon the tyres....(don't forget to apply it to the inside faces) which can be buffed to a satin sheen with a shoe brush.

The same products can also be applied to the rubber hoses in the engine bay...these do dry out far quicker than external rubbers due to the heat of the engine.

So do yourself a big favour, save yourself a lot of time and money and keep those rubber parts clean, soft and long lasting.