CleanYourCar
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:02 pm 
Sponge

Hi,

Just looking to boost my collection with a few questions along the way.

I currently own some AS tardis which is about to run out. It seems good stuff but is there anything better out there?

After reading on here an Iron specific one is also recommended such as Iron X. Now would i also need a specific wheel cleaner like Purple Rain or Bilt Hamber - Auto Wheels? Do these items do the same job?

I have Meguiars High Gloss Tyre gel and have no reason to consider anything else as it does a great job for the money.

I also have Autoglym Bumper car for the plastics...its ok but I think there must be a better alternative...any suggestions?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:50 pm 
There are wheel decontaminant products and then there are 'wheel cleaners'! :lol:

The 'wheel cleaners' tend to be used to aid regular cleaning of a wheel. They are a hybrid product containing cleansing agents, iron fallout removers (brakedust and such like), de-tar and sometimes 'added shine'. They do a good job, but not as efficient or as powerful for when you want to thoroughly 'decontaminate' a wheel when Detailing.

De-tar: Tardis is a good quality de-tarring cleaner. Yes, there are better out there, however Tardis is great value.
Fallout: Iron X is a good quality product at a reasonable price. Yes, there are more highly concentrated iron removers out there, such as Orchard's or Bilt Hamber's.

Once you have applied and rinsed off these products, use an old piece of clay bar to remove and imbedded particles. Then rinse off and dry the wheels and protect the alloys with a High temperature sealant. FinishKare P1000 is an inexpensive paste sealant which can also be used on paintwork.

Once this though detailing is done, regular cleaning becomes far easier and a maintenance wheel cleaner product can be used, but always necessary.

If you're happy with the Megs tyre gloss, then stick with it.

Plastics tend to 'grey' when they become dry...the oils within them evaporate. These oils need to be replenished by 'feeding' them back into the plastics. To enable this, the molecular size of the oil needs to be smaller than the pores inthe plastic. Ag's bumper care is okay, but tends to sit on the surface of the plastic and therefore is more of a short-term solution.

I have found that there are two inexpensive, but long-term' solutions to the situation. One is a product called Colour Restore by Raceglaze...a gel which soaks into the plastics. The other is peanut butter!

The oils from peanuts is very small and soaks in well. Restoring the deep black gloss.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Bumper care I would have a look at CarPro Perl Trim Protectant here

It does a nice job on tyres as well but only if you don't want the very glossy look.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:30 am 
Sponge

+1 for the PERL. A very versatile product and being water-based, you can vary the shininess by altering the dilution rate.