CleanYourCar
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:30 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Gosh! It's been quite a while since I wrote a product review.

What a gorgeous evening ... and what a great evening to play out machining and waxing the car :D

This time, I'm showing you Victoria Wax Concours and Collectors waxes. There are a few fans of these waxes on this forum - the wax is reputed to be wet and glossy, a doddle to apply and a pleasure to own.

... are they?

First of all, let's have a look at what you get:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/vi ... CF2334.jpg

EDIT: I should say at this point that these are the 3oz pots. The waxes are available as 6oz pots, too.

The yellow one is Collectors and the red, Concours. The pots themselves are wide and heavy, almost like glass, but they are a very good quality thick plastic and feel expensive. No label, though? Oh yes ... it's on the base :cool:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/vi ... CF2341.jpg

Nifty :idea: So, these tubs of wax look extra special - more like cosmetics in many ways.

Yes, high quality vessels, but what about the wax?

First, the smell - that's what we do first, isn't it? :wink: Collectors (the yellow one) has a heavy, fruity fragrance - it's bananas. Concours (the red one), a light, fruity scent - yes, strawberries. Lovely!

What do we do next?

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/vi ... CF2337.jpg

We stick our fingers in it, don't we? :lol: Ooooh ... that's soft - almost a sorbet texture. Very nice indeed!

Yes, a pleasure to own :cool:

... but it is any good as a car wax?

Our black car is enjoying Dodo Juice Supernatural at the moment and I am VERY happy indeed with that and see little need to use anything else on the black car now, but I do look after a number of other cars now and variety is the spice of life, isn't it?

I prepared my usual test panel, the boot, with a machine applied paint cleanser (from Serious Performance, if you must know ... I've tried these waxes over Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite, too) and so started out with near perfect paint in terms of being free of defects, good depth, good reflectivity and a bright finish - you just don't get any better than machine polished paint and certainly once cleansed, too :cool:

I applied Collectors to the left hand side and Concours to the right.

Application was with a Sonus Professional applicator on the black side. Why not bare hand? I couldn't get my wedding ring off and I've got a few cuts on my right hand from fighting the cat last night, trying to break an abscess on the poor creature, the result of fighting with one of the neighbourhood mogs - I won ... sort of :oops: ... I digress ...

The wax is sooooo easy to get out of the pot - I wiped ... I should have patted. You can spread it around, go over it, even it up, play with it a little more and just before it fully dries, you wipe it off. I used a Sonus Der Wunder Buffing Towel, as I do for all my wax removal now.

Wow! :shock:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/vi ... CF2331.jpg

The paint was already excellent, but this clearly is more "wet" and on the three-quarter angle actively shimmering. Superb!

Here's a closer look at Collectors more or less straight on:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/vi ... CF2333.jpg

... and Concours:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/vi ... CF2332.jpg

If I had to split them, I might say that Concours was ever so slightly darker, but I might be imagining that. In actual fact, there is no difference so really it comes down to which colour you like or which scent you prefer.

I misted some cold distilled water from the fridge over the buffed first coat and applied a second coat. Kind of half a spit shine. The point of a "spit shine" is to use the cold water to cure the initial layer so that the second is a definite layer, rather than just more wax over the top. Doing this after buffing the first layer has a similar effect, but I think more definite. Finally, I did this again after another half hour.

Yeah, deep, glossy and shimmering :cool:

Will it bead well? I said I'd tried this before and to be honest, the beading was not great. That was with only one coat ... and they do recommend 2-3 coats at all times. I'm not sure how you judge when coats are failing, or whether you have 2.5 or 4 coats on if you apply another after a wash, but I get the message :lol:

It's so easy to use, I reckon you'd want to top up coats once a month.

Yeah, really nice products ... pleasure to own, easy to use and look great.

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/#detailing

Last edited by pjgh on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:08 pm 
Waffle Weave Wonder

Excellent review, think I'll be using this as a summer wax.

Quote:
Application was with a Sonus Professional applicator on the black side. Why not bare hand? I couldn't get my wedding ring off and I've got a few cuts on my right hand from fighting the cat last night, trying to break an abscess on the poor creature, tyhe result of fighting with one of the neighbourhood mogs - I won ... sort of :oops: ... I digress ...

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:27 pm 
i have and use a lot vic's concourse wax,really easy to use wax,more layer's you apply the better it look's. great review as usual paul :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:54 pm 
Wash Mitt

Another top review Paul but is it as easy to work with as legend has it ????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:24 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Fastkwak wrote:
Another top review Paul but is it as easy to work with as legend has it ????

Without a doubt, yes.

It melts with only the slightest touch. I said in the review that I wiped the applicator over the top of the wax - I should have patted. It comes out that easily.

On the paint, it spreads and can moved around and evened up - loads of play time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:12 am 
Waffle Weave Wonder

So it's a "buttery" wax?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:10 am 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Leicester Looney wrote:
So it's a "buttery" wax?

More like a sorbet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:10 am 
Waffle Weave

Thanks for sharing :) Great review.

(How's the moggy?)

'09 2.0 Passat Highline
'94 1.8 Cavalier (nice!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:17 am 
Ruler of the Fluffy

The cat is feeling a lot better, except for when I pin him down and evacuate the puss and hit him with a cotton wool pad of TCP :twisted:

Last time this happened, he didn't tell us for a few days ... ended up with a violent fever and three visits to the Vet at £35 each. Whenever he looks even the slightest bit off-colour, he gets thoroughly investigated all over for sign of scrapping :!:

Mind you, our female had the same thing earlier in the year and, again, just kept herself to herself so we didn't notice ... until ... I was giving her a cuddle and a good squeeze and then my chest went really hot :oops: ... and then the smell hit me :evil: A huge abscess burst on her back and it absolutely soaked me - no end of bathing could get rid of that smell and I was on the verge of gipping for days.

Lesson to you all, cat owners - check your creatures after they've been fighting.

... anyway, back to Victoria:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:30 am 
Waffle Weave

pjgh wrote:
Last time this happened, he didn't tell us for a few days ...

As a rule cats don't - they keep quiet as they don't like to show weakness in case you "throw" them out.

'09 2.0 Passat Highline
'94 1.8 Cavalier (nice!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:31 am 
Sponge

Interesting write up! I've ran out of the red, so went to order more last night but they had ran out. I've ordered the yellow, so will see how it compares. I will be applying this to my Phoenix yellow M3.....I wonder if the yellow wax will perform better on the yellow paint?!

Antony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:34 am 
Wash Mitt

I have only used the collectors and loved it, easy to apply and play with (less is more). It looks nice and wet on the silver of the Civic, but I have to agree with Paul the beading dosnt seem great even after 2 coats, the beads are a lot flatter as if it has been on a month.
I also agree that it will need topping up after a month.

Honda Civic Type R - FN2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:25 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

anTTony wrote:
Interesting write up! I've ran out of the red, so went to order more last night but they had ran out. I've ordered the yellow, so will see how it compares. I will be applying this to my Phoenix yellow M3.....I wonder if the yellow wax will perform better on the yellow paint?!

I wonder ...

Who has tried these on a lighter coloured car? Is there any actual "charging" from the colour?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:24 pm 
Waffle Weave Wonder

Quote:
More like a sorbet.

OK, hope the cat gets better soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:55 pm 
Wash Mitt

Along with Megs 16, that red stuff is my favourite.

Mike