CleanYourCar
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:58 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Fresh into the CYC shop:
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/valet ... d_580.html

... and fresh onto my car :lol:

I joined into a group buy over on DW for the tub of wax only to find that CYC got it into the shop pretty much the very next day. Too slow, guys, but it is a damn fine product and I think you'll be selling a lot of it.

You get a 100ml tub which is sufficient for about 30 cars. Upon opening the tub, you are met with a nice creamy-looking wax, both in terms of consistency and colour. Smell? Nothing much to talk about there. It smells ever so lightly of solvent, but nothing much else ... way less than, say, Collinite and while more than a mere nuance, it is not at all obvious.

When you touch the wax, it melts almost immediately into a little pool the consistency of cold Vaseline. Kind of cool and shows that this hard wax will not doubt be really easy to get out of the tub and will spread well.

Let's see ...

I prepared my usual test panel (yes, the boot of the black car) with Car-Lack68 NSC, left to haze and wiped off pretty much straight away. I want the cleaning capabilities and not necessarily the sealant from the Car-Lack68 NSC product at this stage.

Foam pad, wipe into the pot, wipe onto paint ...

Wow! That spreads well :D A little bit goes a long LONG way ... and I mean a long way ... Dodo Juice Purple Haze kind of long way :wink: The product does not dry quickly and there is plenty of time to go over something the size of a boot, or half a bonnet and then go over in neat lines evening up the finish.

The instructions say to spread with a foam pad and wipe off. I presume they mean there should be some curing time in there ... or straight off, like Bilt Hamber Auto Balm :? I left it to cure and after it was well and truly passing the swipe test having sat for about 20 minutes, I buffed it off with a EuroW deep pile towel.

Buffing was a doddle and much akin to their Liquid Carnauba Paste Wax. Over on DW, a review by Epoch showed some really nice beading and a very slick surface that wicked water away easily. I did pour some water over and I'm pleased to say that this wax is everything you'd expect and none of the let down that I had from their Liquid Carnauba Paste Wax.

In the pot and in use, it reminded me very much of Collinite 915 but more spreadable. In fact, it was VERY much like my own remix, Collinax :shock: Colin Who? http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/vie ... php?t=5747 ... but more so :cool:

Pictures? Of course:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/va ... CF1551.jpg

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/va ... CF1552.jpg

The look, as you can see, if very glassy ... or at least I hoped the picture would show that off. I try to take pictures that show off the effect rather than what you actually see, which is near impossible IMO. If you layered some P21S/R22 on top of Collinite 476S you'd get this look.

A single bead :twisted:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/va ... CF1555.jpg

... and finally, that bright, deep look you're well used to on my black car:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/va ... CF1562.jpg

I really enjoyed it and hope to do the rest of the car at the weekend. I'm not sure I'll be the best person to verify the 3-12 month durability, but no doubt we'll hear from others who do longer term tests with this wax.

Those who have it, have fun ... those who don't - it's well worth trying out.

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/#detailing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:12 pm 
Waffle Weave Master

spotted this the other day...nice write up Paul..
:wink:

boot looks superb as ever :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

Nice write up Paul. It looks like a good wax :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:34 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

The first picture is a bit of a head scratcher and a little like an optical illusion - the blue towel seems to float, but also sit on the paint :lol:

What I hoped to show was that where waxes often either change the appearance quite dramatically (say, Dodo Juice Purple Haze or Meguiars #26) or change the appearance very little (say, P21S or Collinite 476S), this wax did "ice the cake" and left a bright and glossy finish, yes, glassy, too but I can actually see some "warmth" to it and hopefully the last boot shot shows off the "layered" effect that I think the combination of the glassiness and warmth produces.

Yes, nuances, but certainly quite a distinct characteristic, compared to Collinite 476S, P21S/R222 or even Finish Kare 1000P - all bright, glossy and glassy ... and while not sterile, do lack warmth and that depth that comes from that warmth. Again, in a way that more pure waxes do not quite get the same glossy glassiness, but have all that warmth.

I think Collinite 915 is about the closest in terms of behaviour and looks, but this does seem to spread much more easily and you have loads of play time, like P21S/R222.

I am certain the beading will be good and pleasing and I am pretty sure from the initial characteristics, that it will clean up well in the rain and respond well to a wash with a nice shampoo like Zymöl Auto Wash and a spritz of a carnauba based QD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:47 pm 
Waffle Weave Master

Thanks once again - an informative read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:50 pm 
Wash Mitt

Nice write up there.

I gave the pre production sample a try about 4 months ago on my Red Fiesta ST and was very impressed with the results it gave.

The car is used daily and left outside overnight and it was still beading nicely 3 months later, albeit the wax was topped up slightly with their Citrus Bling once a week or so.

At £16 a pot it's a cracking product and one I'd definitely use again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:21 pm 
Wash Mitt God

Glad i seen this write up as David at NE Detailing was waxing lyrical about it on my 1st visit to the shop about a month ago but i was drawn to the Dodo Juice :oops: Bloody brands! Aaargh, theres so many things i want! I was thinking about getting some collinite 476s but want this stuff now aswell. I need to have a word and get the bloody snow foam lance and stuff 1st.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:28 pm 
Wash Mitt

GIZTO29 wrote:
Glad i seen this write up as David at NE Detailing was waxing lyrical about it on my 1st visit to the shop about a month ago but i was drawn to the Dodo Juice :oops: Bloody brands! Aaargh, theres so many things i want! I was thinking about getting some collinite 476s but want this stuff now aswell. I need to have a word and get the bloody snow foam lance and stuff 1st.

Next time you're down Phil cleanse your bonnet and apply a coat of it before purchasing and see what you make of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:32 pm 
Wash Mitt God

airsafari87 wrote:
GIZTO29 wrote:

Next time you're down Phil cleanse your bonnet and apply a coat of it before purchasing and see what you make of it.

Now that my friend is a good idea :lol: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:34 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Well, all I can say is "Thank you Lord for public transport" :shock: :D :cool:

I have to say, I have not seen clarity like this in quite a while on our black car. I know you'll say, "but it always looks like that" ... but the camera simply cannot capture what I am seeing this evening. Roll on the weekend so I can do the whole car ... or tomorrow evening if it's nice. Damn! It's nice right now ... I might be gone for a short while :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:48 pm 
Wash Mitt

I envy you; it's not stopped raining all day. I've received my latest order from CYC but I can't use it because of the weather :evil:

Fantastic review yet again Paul, I can't wait to try it myself. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:54 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

charlie53 wrote:
Fantastic review yet again Paul, I can't wait to try it myself. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow.

Thanks, mate - I'll expect you to follow up with your impressions of this wax. I really hope you like it because I certainly do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:22 pm 
Wash Mitt

Great review - glad it gets the thumbs up. Can't wait to try it now.

Was not sure about wipe on/wipe off as tub says, so you reckon leave for curing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:33 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

I've just done the bonnet and reckon I applied maybe a little too much for the size of the panel on the boot. The same amount spread over the bonnet (which is about double the size) quite happily and I still had time to work it in long stripes fore/aft.

After a couple of minutes, it disappeared and the slight haze I saw in some parts wiped well clear. I decided to buff off at that point and was met with much the same Wow! Factor as on the boot after 20 minutes.

I think a word with ValetPro over the application technique would be a good idea, but find your own road. In a word, it didn't seem to matter - it goes on so easily and comes off so easily however long you cure it.

Maybe some rain overnight might show which panel got the better technique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:38 pm 
Wash Mitt

pjgh wrote:
charlie53 wrote:

Thanks, mate - I'll expect you to follow up with your impressions of this wax. I really hope you like it because I certainly do!

I'll give it my best shot, although I can't promise my review will live up to your excellent prose. Mine will no doubt be something along the lines of:

VP Wax. Good. Buy Now.

:lol: