CleanYourCar
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 12:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Auto-balm kit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:20 pm 
Wash Mitt

Hi all,

having read for a while about the auto-balm product and "lord melch's" use of this and all things considered feel it may be the right product for me ?

i am in need of buying everything from wash mitt>LSP and they have the wash mitt,wash,clay,auto-balm,degreaser and APC,aplicator pads,and chamois leather all for £50 as an offer.

(interesting write up on there site about there chamois leather ! and it being better and less abravise then any other drying aid !)

i have WMF,476,Carlack 68, etc.. but very low on this and the basics like wash and mitts etc.. and would amount to quite a large bill !

as i need a swirl masker really to get the finish i'm after without the need to machine correct (i have two cars and a bike !)

other forums rate this stuff highly and again want something that is easy to apply in one/two applications without sealers and then wax coats which could =4 or 5 coats.

time will tell if its really as good as it says it is ?

unless someone wants to machine correct my cars and bike for free ? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:32 pm 
Ruler of the Mitt

NFN,

As a swirl corrector - honestly the stuff is fairly staggering.

I tried it on a black really badly swirled bonnet and after a few wipes most of the swirls vanished. I was and am seriously impressed.

To get a better finish on the other side I used a G-220 and Sonus SFX 1 2 and 3 Polishes so a lot more work, cost... AND TIME :D

The Auto-Balm imparts a nice gloss on Black and the only bad point I can make so far is it doesn't seem to bead much BUT Bilt make some pretty good claims as to how it protects the paintwork.. so if it's doing what it says who cares.

Out of interest I have applied a layer of Pete's '53 on top today so I will monitor and let you all know what happens..

http://www.bilthamber.com/autobalmcomparison.html

Now I don't know how long the swirl filling will last but for that price hey just apply it again.. :D and I recon the pot would last literally years you use that little..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:59 pm 
Wash Mitt Wonder

I am very interested in Auto Balm, but after getting the last batch of sealant and wax I will wait till I run dry and hope the Auto Balm price doesn't go up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:03 pm 
Ruler of the Mitt

OK this will seal it (sorry for the pun)

A couple of piccies - sorry getting late and dark now..(phone piccies also)

This roof has had approx a year ago a layer of Jetseal and Pete's 53' since then (the car is 4+ years old) just a wash sometimes in the local Supermarket... :shock: :shock:

The paintwork used to feel like my chin after a few days not shaving :lol:

I used my new Bilt clay - just as instructed with water - wow - now the paintwork is as smooth as silk..

Applied Auto-Balm - swirls more or less gone and very glossy..

Don't get me wrong my preferred route is G-220 polish, plus sealant and wax, but for the price, quick use and result this stuff is IMHO top notch.

I will use both methods where needs must etc :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:08 pm 
Ruler of the Mitt

jamest wrote:
I am very interested in Auto Balm, but after getting the last batch of sealant and wax I will wait till I run dry and hope the Auto Balm price doesn't go up.

TBH if your paintwork is in good nick / you have a machine polisher I would stay that route..

I think (again IMVHO) given the money and time to machine polish, seal x 2, wax x 2 you get a better finish BUT the Bilt stuff where the above doesn't apply is a damn fine alternative..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:37 pm 
Wash Mitt

hey thanks for the info and pics ! "lord melch"

your comments echo my thoughts on this product, although i'm keen and want the best finish i can, polishing,waxing,and sealing, is hard work and i'm not in a postion to spend 3-5 hours on doing this x 3 ! i'm lucky if i get an hour or so to spend washing the cars and bike ! as if the weather is good (car cleaning time for most onn here i guess) i'm out on the bike !

i am away a lot also ! today i managed to wash the Jag and Alfa, but now i seem to have developed minor OCD keep finding things i want to rectify ! and a wash down is never enough now !

the swirls on the Jag are starting to piss me off ! but its a company car and it gets enough of my own money spent on it !

reckon the Auto-balm will keep me happy and will take much less time so its a win win !

no doubt the long termers on here have a wee smile on there faces and that knowing nod ? there thoughts are "you wait this time next year he will be all G220'd up and posting pics of the results"

can't wait to use this stuff now ! and of course i will post pics of the results !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:18 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Nice ... nearly as good as my black paint :wink:

The trick to black is to get rid of those swirls - black shows them up the worst and that makes the finish look much worse than it really is. Get rid of the swirls by masking or by correction and you've got a fantastic finish. I had another go with Poorboys Blackhole today and TBH, I get better with #7. If I was to get more swirls, I'd be using the Bilt Hamber product straight away. I will get some for the white car, because one of our winters does do its best to finish my white car off :evil:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/#detailing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:39 pm 
Wash Mitt Wonder

lord melch wrote:
jamest wrote:

TBH if your paintwork is in good nick / you have a machine polisher I would stay that route..

I think (again IMVHO) given the money and time to machine polish, seal x 2, wax x 2 you get a better finish BUT the Bilt stuff where the above doesn't apply is a damn fine alternative..
My paint is very swirly. It will take quite a few applications of Dodo Juice Lime Prime to get the swirls out, I think by the time I have used up all my products I would have got rid of the swirls. :lol:

Have yet to see AB on white though...come on Paul, you are the guinea pig :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:55 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Yeah ... I'll get some in (the auto-wash and the auto-balm) ... my car is a test-bed of products at the moment, but I could re-do the bonnet (which I've just done with the Serious Performance products that my wife bought me for my birthday). As an aside, they're pretty good on white leaving a nice glossy finish, much akin to when I first used Chemical Guys Jetseal. No easier, no harder to work with and the product bottles are nice to own ... almost like the Philosophy cosmetics my wife uses :lol:

The Bilt-Hamber products have long been regarded amongst the classic car community and well regarded by many of my SAAB owning friends. It will be interesting to try it on black for myself, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:05 am 
Wash Mitt Wonder

I am really tempted to buy it.

May buy it just for my brother, try it on my car then if I don't think much of it I can pass it over to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:46 am 
Ruler of the Mitt

nfn wrote:
is hard work and i'm not in a postion to spend 3-5 hours on doing this x 3 !

3.5 hrs - I wish, my last correction day started at approx 10.30 and I was still waxing at 21.00 (with some breaks of course) Mind you I am still learning this G-220 thing)..

Wash Wheels, Snowfoam, Wash, Dry.. Polish with SFX2, access result, stand around looking for swirls, humm another pass with G-220 and SFX3 Polish with SFX3, Jetseal x 2 Wax x 2 etc etc

nfn wrote:
i am away a lot also ! today i managed to wash the Jag and Alfa, but now i seem to have developed minor OCD keep finding things i want to rectify ! and a wash down is never enough now !

Somehow I don't feel to sorry for you.. Jag, Alfa, R1... :wink:

(wee smile on face and that knowing nod) Just wait until this time next year, you'll have a G-220 :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:51 am 
Ruler of the Mitt

jamest wrote:
I am really tempted to buy it.

May buy it just for my brother, try it on my car then if I don't think much of it I can pass it over to him.

You know you want to :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:57 am 
Ruler of the Mitt

pjgh wrote:

The Bilt-Hamber products have long been regarded amongst the classic car community and well regarded by many of my SAAB owning friends. It will be interesting to try it on black for myself, too.

Our loan Detailing warrior accesses his/her prey and leans over looking across bonnet at Sun's reflection * at those light swirls.. "Humm looks great but"...

"Snap" takes photo, damn cloud came over.. "Snap" that's better..

Fresh damp applicator in hand he/she slowly dips it into the Auto-Balm, "Humm is that too much ?" Wipes a little back into tin..

Slowly in North South direction wipes Auto-Balm onto bonnet - "Wow this does go a long way"...

Places applicator down away from dust. grit etc, sips on (insert drink of choice)... leans backwards stretching lower back..

Picks up a perfectly clean MF, and wipes the Auto-Balm off... Looks across bonnet at sun's reflection... Amazed look comes across face with grin...

"Snap"..... etc etc...
:D

* Lord Melch's Health and Safety team note that we in no way endorse looking at bright images. Please use all reasonable safety precautions, ideally never even get out of bed... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:34 pm 
Wash Mitt

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:07 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Woo! Hoo! New toys :twisted: :lol: :wink: :oops:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/al ... CF8557.jpg

... get your LM non-endorsed shades ready :cool:

Last edited by pjgh on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.