CleanYourCar
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:53 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

First, thanks to Willington for sending me along a sample of Scholl Concepts Vintage to try out. Much appreciated!

Vintage is a new wax from Scholl Concepts and due for release imminently as a 50th Anniversary celebration wax, labelled up as a "Pure carnauba and cacao blend" - see: http://spautopia.co.uk/scholl-concepts- ... intage-wax

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/sc ... CF5611.jpg

Cacao? Used widely in the cosmetics industry, I guess it's in there as a useful oil ... it certainly gives the wax a beautiful scent which is like good coffee and caramel. Novel! That's the scent - texture is soft with structure, much akin to good cheesecake. Scholl also bill this as a handmade wax. This is highbrow stuff. Very nice indeed so far ...

To work ...

My 9-5 Aero is again the test mule and the boot is going to provide the panel to try out this wax on - painted metal and plastic here. Preparation was with Serious Performance Paint Cleanser and a good buff up.

Application was not particularly straight-forward with a soft of crumbly feeling going on under the pad where the wax quickly clumped together. Scraping off the excess back into the pot gave a more even feeling and with a little gusto, small circular motions helped with the application. It likes to be warm, I feel. Warmer weather (it was 5C out and windy) or warmed up, or with a little friction, it will work well.

Vintage is a high quality wax and suffers some of the pitfalls as such - the texture of the wax is soft, emphasising the wax content which is a two-edged sword. I'm going to sound elitist here, but trust me ... I'm not a wax snob, for those who have used a number of top end waxes, they'll be used to this crumbly, gritty, flakey texture. Some manufacturers have blended it out, other retained it. Vintage feels like a wax that has jumped in amongst its well established peers in black or thin glass-effect jars.

Left for about 20 minutes, it was ready to come off.

Removal was not effortless, but certainly not difficult - a little pressure required and a re-buff over the whole area with a refolded soft microfibre brought up a really pleasing shine. Any high points in the wax application did not prove difficult to remove, no smearing, no greasiness and no secondary hazing which is often present with high-end waxes; something which someone who is used to high-end waxes knows exactly how to deal with.

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/sc ... CF5612.jpg

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/sc ... CF5615.jpg

Clean, crisp and bright - pictures showing in sunlight, shadow and the shadow of a building. Depth is very much present with this wax, perhaps lending itself to darker cars or cars with strong pigmented finishes.

The big question is: is the juice worth the squeeze? It is.

This is a very pleasant wax to own. The small sample I had might well have proven difficult to get onto a pad and spread, but in the full-size jar, a regular pad will be easy to transfer the wax to. The scent alone warrants a high rating - unique, really. The work involved is not a chore, but you do feel that you have achieved something through toil, which is very pleasing for a detailing enthusiast.

In summary, application and removal was as it would be with many waxes out there and certainly no worse than any high-end wax - neither were especially easy, certainly not effortless, but then neither proved at all problematic. The look is good - deep, crisp reflections and with a wet look certainly worthy of the term Vintage.

A concours wax, indeed!

I don't yet know the price-point for this wax and cannot speculate.

Beading and post-first wash opinions to follow ...

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/#detailing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Paul for putting this wax through its paces for us. Your expert opinion on waxing is always valued by lots of us on this Forum.

I tested Vintage myself a short while ago and reported in my post very similar thoughts as Paul has.

Like most products, each has their own characteristics in application and removal....as Paul said, circular motions improved the application and you need a bit of elbow grease to really bring out the shine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:11 am 
Wash Mitt Wonder

Interesting as i was looking at GazW facebook and he has this wax....good review Paul :)

Professional detailer covering Glasgow, Scotland, Cambridgeshire (based in St Neots)

Dodo Juice/Permanon Approved

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:34 pm 
Waffle Weave

Interesting review. Whats more interesting is that the product is supposedly incomplete and not supposed to be released yet :? Where are these waxes coming from as Olivier did say it was an unfinished product.

www.beautechnique.co.uk
Follow us on our social media @...
Facebook
Twitter
Instgram
Youtube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:58 pm 
Wash Mitt Wonder

I have both Pre pre production Vintage and pre production Vintage...the very first blend was as hard as nails to apply and remove but the second version soft and clumpy but still not completely satisfied with its ease of use....however its finish is simply stunning as I have done a few panels of comparison between Swissvax and Scholl Vintage...a client voted for Vintage....I have also just completed a Jag S Type and had every intention of coating the whole lot with Vintage but the application was a nightmare and took far too long for the roof and bonnet to be done so a switch to RG 55 was necessary....I have popped a couple of pics up of the Jag but i will do a full write on it later....I have had this stuff since early November and temperature wise nothing seems to affect its application so I feel they need to go back to the drawing board and get its app right....

Scholl Vintage....

RG55....

I have even compared the application to SV Divine Wax and also the finished article and between the 2 Vintage gets it....

|Derbyshire||The Midlands and Nationwide||
Tel
:07717298367||Email:russell@reflectology.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

I was given small pre-production samples about a month ago of both Rock and Vintage and found, as Russ said, the Vintage to be very hard to apply and remove.

Last week I received a further sample of them, which I passed the Vintage onto Paul to test. It appears that Paul had the same issue with clumping as Russ had. It sounds as if Paul's Vintage was the second pre-production version and not the finished product...hence the delay in releasing it for sale.

If this has caused anyone concern or confusion, my sincere apologies. It was totally unintentional. :oops:

One thing though...it does produce a stunning finish. All I need to do is now get my paintwork refined to do it justice :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:57 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

The clumping was most likely because the wax was in a small pot and had been transfered from another. With a production pot, I would imagine that the transfer of wax to a pad would be a lot easier.

It also struct me that this would be an excellent wax to apply by bare hand. If it wasn't so cold, I'd give it a go.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:07 pm 
Wash Mitt Wonder

No mate the clumping is present in the production packaging of both waxes rock and vintage with vintage being the more clumpy....both leave a good finish but rock is extremely oily and leaves a greasy mess TBH...it would take almost an hr for it to cure if left to dry....I ended up leaving it 10 minutes and wiping away then leaving for a further 10 before buffing off....back to the vintage I have tried hand application and you will get streaking and a huge mess....

I have tried a Sonus German Pad, A Scholl Black Puck, SV Cotton Pad and Black Foam and even a velour make up pad and application is a PITA with Vintage....one thing is to be mentioned though is I much prefer the looks and finish of both these waxes than SV's low end Onyx and High end Divine....I will try and dig out a comparitive picture of Vintage and Divine....both on Black....

Tel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:41 pm 
Wash Mitt Wonder

Have put these together....the Scholl Vintage pics are from Jan - Feb this year and the Divine ones are from May/June last year so 2 very different situations where the effects of the daylight can play tricks....

Going on the circumstance with time of year applied Scholl Vintage gets it for me....both in looks and is slightly easier application and removal wise....

Tel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:19 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Oooh! BIG BEADING!!! :shock: :cool:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:54 am 
Site Admin

pjgh wrote:
Oooh! BIG BEADING!!! :shock: :cool:

Has it rained on the red Saab?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:01 am 
Ruler of the Fluffy

It certainly has! I'll grab a snap in due course.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:05 am 
Site Admin

is it nice big beading, or a big puddle of beading ?

I am looking forward to seeing this as I have enough left of it to do my whole car when I finish polishing it today.. 8-[

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:07 am 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Big glass pebbles which fly off when taking off! Land again and small upright beads soon turn to larger beads to pebbles :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:16 am 
Site Admin

sounds good...looking forward to seeing the pics :)