CleanYourCar
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dodo Juice Mellow Yellow
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:08 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Good Lord! This is good stuff ... Dodo Juice Mellow Yellow, that is ... not the Leffe I'm drinking, although that is pretty fine too :D I was sent a sample shot of Dodo Juice Mellow Yellow by GIZTO29 (thanks, pal) in concentrate form, so I made it up to normal concentrate with distilled water (up to 250ml) and in a bottle with a sprayer equivalent in performance to the sprayer that Dodo Juice supply.

I needed about 5-6 sprays per wheel, which one wheel showed me 6 was too much as the product simply collected at the bottom of the wheel and ran off. Do one wheel at a time, leave to dwell for a few seconds and then use a microfibre cloth to lightly agitate and clean off the dirt. OMG! This is very effective! Rinse down with PLENTY of water.

If you have any compromised areas of lacquer or paint on the wheel, this cleaner will be in there quicker than a greased weasel. This is so with all aggressive wheel cleaners and I think that is the crux of this product - it is a very good cleaner and will bring up dirty wheels to a good standard in no time.

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/sw ... CF3577.jpg

That shows you the power of this wheel cleaner - it is very much in the same bracket as strong acidic wheel cleaners, but more cleverly crafted and formulated to specifically target brake deposits, leaving uncompromised lacquer intact. Diluted further, the concentrate is suitable for regular use and being acidic it is probably akin to a strong citrus cleaner in a more diluted form.

The feel was VERY clean indeed. There is some lubricant/shampoo-like element in the mix, which is very welcome and leaves a very slick feel to the wheels. It is a very good formulation from the guys at Dodo Juice - well done, lads.

Here's a shot of one of the wheels showing the kind of look that results from a few spritzes of this products, a wipe and a rinse down:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/sw ... CF3579.jpg

Clean and bright ... and ready for a spritz of Dodo Juice Red Mist to seal in :wink:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/#detailing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:10 pm 
Waffle Weave Wonder

Looks impressive, nice review :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:17 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

I should point out that the damage in the picture is NOT from Dodo Juice Mellow Yellow. This product will get in there into areas of compromised lacquer. It is a strong cleaner!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:51 pm 
Wash Mitt

Nice review Paul.

I found Mellow Yellow to be far more effective in removing brake dust than either neat Bilberry or Very Cherry.

It certainly is good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:00 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

I wish I had it when I first dragged through "curly" Aero wheels out of the cellar. I spend an age with ValetPro Bilberry and ended up with scouring pads and even a Brillo!

I think we at last have a "detailer grade" strong acidic cleaner. Sure, I know there's the Meg's one but this is something else. In its regular form it simply does the job very quickly and very effectively. For four wheels in medium dirty condition, I used about 40ml.

For more regular cleans, I think ValetPro Bilberry has its place firmly laid out, varying the concentration depending upon the job in hand. That said, Dodo Juice Mellow Yellow could be brought down a pH notch or three with water to do the same job.

Finally for light cleans, I just use either a 1:10 ValetPro Bilberry or a citrus cleaner. The Serious Performance Ultra Wheel Gel (that I mentioned in my PJGH Saturday Wash Day thread) is more along these lines. Once again, a very diluted form of Dodo Juice Mellow Yellow would do, but so would a strong shampoo :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:32 pm 
Wash Mitt

Is it Leffe blonde or Leffe brune???

I have to ask :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:10 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Blonde ... I don't mind whether it's a blonde or a brunette, but the Beef Brisket I cooked today likes to be done in Blonde so the 2 for a fiver dictated it to be a Blonde to drink this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:25 pm 
Wash Mitt God

Well Paul, i had the chance to also try my MW today but cant say i had the same feelings.
Heres a few before pics. I apologise for the before pics as they were off my phone while the after were from my camera.
Now i decided to swipe the wheel with a finger to show what the dirt we were dealing with was like. They are dirty but it was easily wiped with a finger but as shown there is a yellow film on the blades and what i think is brake dust in the corners. Also a bit of Tar which i'll deal with next time I had limited time). Most of the dirt seemed to be Megs Endurance that had bled from the tyre.
Now as i mentioned i have tried Bilberry 1:5 which didnt solve the problem which i why i went for the MW.
I agree with what Paul says and the product has a shampooy (is that even a word lol) consistency abit like peach scnapps if that makes sense which i guess would help it cling well. The smell is abit much on the senses but hey, we're not gonna be comparing it to aftershave, its bloody acid lol.
Anyway i made up 200ml by using 100ml MW and 100ml water and after spraying liberally i began to agitate with a small brush. I found it did cling well and upon first brushing it in it seemed to be removing the yellow tinges. I let it dwell for a few minutes then pw'd off but the centre still seemed abit dirty. I gave it another brush in that area and pw'd again which helped. Upon inspection the yellowish tinge was still present as was the brake dust. I did expect this to go but was i expecting too much? As i say Bilb wouldnt shift it at 1:5 but i havnt tried at a stronger mix. At the end of the 4 wheels the 200ml was gone. Heres some after pics.
We worked out at that rate it would cost around £3.50 per shot to do the car 5 times. After reading your findings Paul maybe i used too much or it mayve been the spray bottle i used as i know the DJ bottles dont fire much product per spray. All in all i cant see why i would pay for it again rather than the Bilberry but im gonna try again and try rubbing them with an MF like you did and see if that makes a difference.
Do you guys think the black marks should come off with this type of product? Bare in mind this was a quick wash as i had arranged to go for sunday dinner to my mams so the inner wheels were still abit dirty.
Thanks Phil

Last edited by GIZTO29 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:28 pm 
Waffle Weave Wonder

I think that yellowish tinge is staining tbh, I have removed it before with a light polish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:33 pm 
Wash Mitt God

Leicester Looney wrote:
I think that yellowish tinge is staining tbh, I have removed it before with a light polish.

As i say most of it has come off with agitation but i was expecting it to be removed without having to rub/scrub etc. I detest doing wheels so just want the easiest method lol. I may end up Werkstat Priming them.
Heres a pic of the car anyway
Gotta show someone lol

Last edited by GIZTO29 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:36 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Yeah, the yellow comes off with a strong paint cleanser - Car-Lack68 NSC or AG SRP will both do the trick.

The pitted marks are something I would have expected Dodo Juice Mellow Yellow to get to grips with - that's what the blurb claims it is "designed" to do. Try wriggling a microfibre towel in there. Brushes are okay, but often don't have the bite. I had similar markings on the spokes of the five spoke wheels above (ignoring the fact that they're largely shot) and it came off with a mere spritz of Mellow Yellow and a microfibre.

The normal procedure would be to spray on, allow to dwell, agitate with a brush and power wash off ... that's exactly what you did and if it didn't satisfy with that procedure then it needs to be said, since that's how most people will use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:42 pm 
Wash Mitt God

pjgh wrote:
Yeah, the yellow comes off with a strong paint cleanser - Car-Lack68 NSC or AG SRP will both do the trick.

The pitted marks are something I would have expected Dodo Juice Mellow Yellow to get to grips with - that's what the blurb claims it is "designed" to do. Try wriggling a microfibre towel in there. Brushes are okay, but often don't have the bite. I had similar markings on the spokes of the five spoke wheels above (ignoring the fact that they're largely shot) and it came off with a mere spritz of Mellow Yellow and a microfibre.

The normal procedure would be to spray on, allow to dwell, agitate with a brush and power wash off ... that's exactly what you did and if it didn't satisfy with that procedure then it needs to be said, since that's how most people will use it.

Ive just edited above Paul and said i'll try Werkstat Prime next. Infact yes, i can use Car-Lack NSC. I actually respritzed the worst bits and reagitated which would explain how i used so much product but overall me and Mike (R32 Dub) werent blown away tbh. He was surprised when i told him how much it costs aswell. I need to tryVP Tar & Glue on the marks 1st also to make sure it aint tar but it does look like brake dust to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:07 am 
Wash Mitt

pjgh wrote:
Blonde ... I don't mind whether it's a blonde or a brunette, but the Beef Brisket I cooked today likes to be done in Blonde so the 2 for a fiver dictated it to be a Blonde to drink this time.

Nice, liking Leffe myself these days. :D Good choice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:53 am 
Sponge

good write up guys, I tried this for the 1st time yesterday on my very grubby wheels + they came up a treat with the captain crevis wheel mitt :) one thing i will do though is put the mix in a larger spray bottle as the dj triggers are a pita! :D

I will be selling on my autosmart smartwheels on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:50 pm 
Wash Mitt God

Sounds like its the biz for you then Dawn. I need to give it another go i think. Well guys phase 2 was attempted today on the black marks on the wheels. I thought i'd try Car-Lack NSC with an MF Cloth.
Unfortunately it hasnt shifted the marks but did work on the yellow which i expected anyway.
Im wondering if theyre stone rashes now? Thing is the wheels were immaculate then over the winter this happened to them. Next wash i'll try VP TAr & Glue on them. Maybe i'll try Bilb at a stronger ratio aswell. Watch this space.
Thanks Phil