CleanYourCar
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

This was my first SAAB 900 :D

I loved this car ... and I thin what I loved about it was how little I knew about them back then. The innocence was a lot of fun. The car had plainly been tinkered with because it went like stink - ultimately, something that killed it with a thump under the bonnet and a jingling on the road. Catastrophic engine failure :twisted:

Here's she was when I'd just bought her:

The reason I'm posting ... a shot of me half my weight, polishing away. From memory, it would have been a VERY deep clean with some kind of degreaser, tar remover and strong shampoo solution since it was covered in green algae and ingrained dirt all over. I would have followed that with Autoglym Super Resin Polish, which is probably what I was doing there. It might have got some Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection in that detail, too.

... and so, after around a year and a superb introduction to owning a Classic 900, it was time to go:

The replacement can be seen a couple of cars in front ... just in front of that white MG Metro. Now that was a fun car - the 1300 engine and a little diddling with the carb and it went like a scalded cat.

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/#detailing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:26 pm 
nice looking motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

You're just being kind John - it's awful looking :lol:

I'm being a little harsh there - the five door is probably the least desirable of the shapes and none came in the Aero shape with the side skirts. There is a certain charm to the older style "flat nose" five door cars:

The opera window is an interesting design feature - also found on the Ford Sierra and the BL Metro. The front doors were a little short for a tall fellow - the longer doors on the 2/3 door shape are a lot better.

In all the time I owned it, only the sunroof opened until the very final day when I got the back windows working. I used to smoke back then, which was fun when it was raining - I'd smoke heavily until the car filled up and then open the sunroof just a little so the smoke was dragged out of the car. It must have looked hilarious from behind :lol:

The front driving lights were really good, though - I should have kept them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:38 pm 
my fav is the 900 Saab turbo in black like the one featured on wheeler dealers that's same as your black one isn't it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:40 pm 
Wash Mitt

I love old Saab's.

I remember the TV advert where the car turned into a Viggen jet fighter when it went round a bend ... quality. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

john1970 wrote:
my fav is the 900 Saab turbo in black like the one featured on wheeler dealers that's same as your black one isn't it ?

That one was like my white one, but in black ... and the smaller "ducktail" spoiler. That's "the definitive Classic 900" for many. If it's the one I'm thinking of ... Stuart's old one :wink: Not that you know Stuart :lol:

When SAAB released the special edition Turbo X a couple of years ago, they claimed a load of styling clues from the Classic 900 and used one in all their advertising media and took a perfect Classic 900 with them to use at the shows:

I still think the Classic looks better.

ajc347 wrote:
I remember the TV advert where the car turned into a Viggen jet fighter when it went round a bend ... quality. :cool:

Yeah, very cool :cool:

http://www.saabvideos.com/2006/09/06/sa ... p-ad-1988/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:36 pm 
Sponge

pjgh wrote:
You're just being kind John - it's awful looking :lol:

I'm being a little harsh there - the five door is probably the least desirable of the shapes and none came in the Aero shape with the side skirts. There is a certain charm to the older style "flat nose" five door cars:

I am not sure i f these were official or not, but i realise these are slopy fronts rather than flat. I don't think it makes much difference to the looks though. I love the 2/3 door models and the vert, but the 4/5 door models were rather ugly. The 9000 looks much better as a car with more doors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, that bodykit is a mix and match of the Scandium kit for the 99 & early 900s and the later Aero front and rear. It works quite well.

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums/c9 ... ochure.jpg

The five door has some charm, but it has to be right and I think colour has a lot to do with it. I saw a flat nose in green and it "just worked" - the flat nose works better non-bodykitted.

I have a very soft spot for the four door, since my favourite ever Classic 900 is a four door - the CD model. This is a slightly longer 900 which gains 30cm in length by using the front doors from the 2/3 door (rather than the shorter doors from the 4/5 door) and normal doors behind from the four door. You get more legroom in the back, of course making it a limousine ... in the Citroën sense of the word.

They look especially good with the side stripes removed, giving a more 99 kind of look. That'll mean something to SAAB people, but enjoy the pictures:

Some day ... it will be mine :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:58 pm 
me mate had a top spec Saab convertible when posted in Germany stunning in black,only problem every time on leave over here got slashed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Luckily, that's not happened to ours but when the roof is down, it becomes a target for people throwing in litter and flicking cigs in :roll: Britain, eh? :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:03 pm 
pjgh wrote:
Luckily, that's not happened to ours but when the roof is down, it becomes a target for people throwing in litter and flicking cigs in :roll: Britain, eh? :evil:

aye in Germany or on camp not a problem .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:55 am 
Wash Mitt

For your enjoyment - owned by a certain Mr Saabstudent.
Photographed at the GWS Lazy Sunday event last year

And a loverly white flat nose 2 door can be seen in this PDF (page 4&5)

GWS Newsletter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Naranto wrote:
... and a loverly white flat nose 2 door can be seen in this PDF (page 4&5)

You sure? There's Rob's old white 8V, which is always nice to have a nose at :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:37 pm 
Wash Mitt

Well spotted. Rob sold it to a fellow SAAB nut down south.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:17 am 
Wash Mitt Wonder

stunning cars!!!