All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:37 pm 
Sponge

Hi folks,

I need to buy a pressure washer to help me:

1. Wash the car and
2. Clean the driveway

I'll need a snow lance too.

I know of Karcher/Bosch but only because they are in all the main retail outlets. But are they any good or good value for money? If so, what model would you recommend?

Are there other brands worth considering? If so, which model?

How important is it to have an adjustable valve on the snow lance? Or do they all come with this? Are the ones with brass fittings worth the extra cost?

I haven't decided on a budget yet. Maybe £1-200 for the pressure washer and snow lance.

One issue, I don't have a lot of storage space, so size is a small consideration too.

Last edited by Jabriel on Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:51 pm 
Waffle Weave Wonder

Have a look at Nilfisk. I have had mine for about 5 years now without issue. Go for a model with an induction motor. You will need to buy a separate snow foam lance like the one in the CYC store - they are all pretty much the same and you can adjust the angle of the jet. I'll have a look at some models in your price range tomorrow, I'm on my phone at the moment and this forum isn't very phone friendly. You will be able to get something very decent with your budget.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:49 pm 
To get a decent density of foam, it's important to have a high 'Bar' pressure rating and a lance which has an adjustable water flow rate regulator. I live in a low water pressure area and until I bought the CYC lance and a 130 bar Karcher K4, snow foaming was nigh on impossible.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/karcher-full-control-k4-130bar-pressure-washer-1-8kw-240v/6428j

The K4 has plenty of power and can easily clean the driveway...just don't have the rinsing lance too close to the cars paintwork!

The Nilsfisk machines are every bit as good as the Karcher...but the Induction motor versions for both are VERY expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:12 am 
Sponge

Thanks chaps.

The Karcher K4 is £180. The Nilfisk c130 is £145. Both similar machines. The c130 is currently available from the outlet for £75 with a 6 month warranty or for £10 more, a 12 month warranty.

Is the k4 worth the premium?

Is the risk with the cheaper refurbished worth it?

I'll be using this once a month. So are the induction motor versions overkill? It's a one off purchase so I may as well go for it.

Will get the CYC lance.

Last edited by Jabriel on Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:14 am 
Sponge

Dazza95 wrote:
I'll have a look at some models in your price range tomorrow, I'm on my phone at the moment and this forum isn't very phone friendly. You will be able to get something very decent with your budget.

Thanks. Let me know when you can.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:10 am 
Wash Mitt

Jabriel wrote:
Thanks chaps.

The Karcher K4 is £180. The Nilfisk c130 is £145. Both similar machines. The c130 is currently available from the outlet for £75 with a 6 month warranty or for £10 more, a 12 month warranty.

Is the k4 worth the premium?

Is the risk with the cheaper refurbished worth it?

I'll be using this once a month I'm guess so the induction motor versions are overkill, but it's a one off purchase so I may as well go for it.

Will get the CYC lance.

Karcher also have an outlet shop, they have a few different K4 models for sale at the moment. I bought one from the outlet shop about 5 years ago and it has been trouble free. Just remember to run the pump empty before you store it if the temperatures are below freezing, the expansion of the water can damage the pump... :oops: Wish that was foresight.....

As those far wiser than me have said already, look for something with >120 Bar pressure, >400 litres per minute flow rate and at least a 6m long high pressure hose. Either of the two you have identified will be fine. And I would definitely recommend the foam lances with the brass fittings, in fact I didn't know that you could get any other type.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:53 pm 
Waffle Weave Wonder

Jabriel wrote:
Dazza95 wrote:
I'll have a look at some models in your price range tomorrow, I'm on my phone at the moment and this forum isn't very phone friendly. You will be able to get something very decent with your budget.

I'm pretty sure the C130 has an induction motor:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nilfisk-C130-X ... B006UCKWAA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:11 pm 
Sponge

Dazza95 wrote:
Jabriel wrote:
Dazza95 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the C130 has an induction motor:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nilfisk-C130-X ... B006UCKWAA

It does. (I checked their website yesterday.)

I'm leaning towards the C130 over the K4. It's slightly cheaper and sounds like the support is good.

Is a machine with an induction motor overkill for my needs? That's the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:39 pm 
Waffle Weave Wonder

No I don't think it is. It'll last longer and they're much quieter in operation. At they sort of price it's a bargain. The weak points tend to be hoses, lances, guns and nozzles, however you can adapt the machine to take universal industrial type replacements if you ever need to in the future. I have a 15m steel reinforced hose on my Nilfisk that I had made up at a hydraulics place a while back.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm 
Sponge

So still haven't had a chance to buy the PW yet.

Have just started looking again and now am tempted by the Nilfisk e145.3.10 H.

Cleanstore have a promotion on the k5 and are selling it with car and home bundle for £300. It also has a 5yr warranty compared to the Nilfisk's 2 yr warranty. I think it also has £100 of free accessories which can be claimed. The nilfisk is £70 cheaper.

Ignoring price, is one machine better than the other?

Or should I pocket £70 and go with the Nilfisk? I don't have a lot of storage so extra accessories are not necessarily a bonus. Especially the car cleaning as one wouldn't necessarily use these anyway.

ETA: corrected typos