CleanYourCar
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wax and Sealer combo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:51 pm 
Sponge

Hi Guys,
Newbie at detailing but learning lots. I've never used a sealer before - just pre-clean, rinse, shampoo, rinse, dry and wax. I've been reading the various threads and its obvious ive missed a step. So my question is which sealant works with Victoria Concours Wax ? Ive been using that for a couple of years and the results are great. Any ideas what combo will work well?

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Wax and Sealer combo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:14 pm 
welcome to the CYC forum :)

The key to using a sealant is perfectly clean paintwork, as sealant are applied directly onto it. It's optional if you put a layer of wax over the top of the sealant.

generally speaking a sealant can't be put over the top of a wax. * couple of exceptions, but that is a bit hard to explain.

as a base sealant, you can't go far wrong with Zaino Z2....dripping wet honey appearance but looks rathr 'sterile. But that's where the wax over the top provides the 'warmth' :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:44 pm 
Sponge

willington wrote:
welcome to the CYC forum :)

The key to using a sealant is perfectly clean paintwork, as sealant are applied directly onto it. It's optional if you put a layer of wax over the top of the sealant.

generally speaking a sealant can't be put over the top of a wax. * couple of exceptions, but that is a bit hard to explain.

as a base sealant, you can't go far wrong with Zaino Z2....dripping wet honey appearance but looks rathr 'sterile. But that's where the wax over the top provides the 'warmth' :)

Can you use a sealant like the sonax Protectant in the spray can over glazes though? Like the britemax ect? Or are they pretty much strictly over bare IPA'd paint?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:12 pm 
The rule of thumb is that sealants go directly onto clean bare paintwork.

However, poorboys Ex-P sealant has been chemically engineered to adhere to THEIR Blackhole or White Diamond Glazes.

By all means you can apply any sealant onto any other product, even a wax...but you run the risk of it failing to work or not last long.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:05 pm 
Sponge

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:03 pm 
Sponge

i spoke to britemax, and they said there glaze was oil free and will not harm a polymer sealants adhesion which is good!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

Yes Britemax black max glaze is fantastic under most sealants. I'm using it under Obsession wax hybrid 86 at present. :D http://www.obsessionwax.com/hybrid-86-200ml/