CleanYourCar
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Expert Advice Needed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:50 am 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:36 am
Posts: 8
hi all could any of the more experienced members put me right on my detailing task on my emerald green Vauxhall Insignia which has a fair few swirl marks on it and tell me if this is the correct way to prepare my car for the coming winter. I have purchased a Das pro 6 polisher plus hexlogic pads and wanted to know what speeds to apply the products as I already own all the items on the list except for the wax and wondered in your opinion what would be best wax to use as the final coat here is my method of approach so if anybody could glance over it and let me know if i will be going about it the right way I will be eternally grateful.
1. Wet car using Hose Pipe
2. Foam car using Honeydew Snow foam then wait 5 mins
3. Rinse car using Hose Pipe
4. Wash car using Citrus wash and gloss using 2 Bucket Method
5. Rinse car using Hose Pipe
6. Iron X car then wait 5 mins
7. Rinse car using Hose Pipe
8. Clay car using Mitt using Shampoo as Lube
9. Gyeon Q2m Prep car using Hand towel
10. Mask car
11. Meguiars 205 using polisher White pad wet pad first
12. Prima Amigo car using polisher White pad wet pad first
13. Poorboys black hole using polisher Black pad wet pad first
14. Wax using polisher Red pad
15. Wheels clean and Gel Tyres
thank you all in advance for any advice that you give


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Expert Advice Needed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:13 am 
You may wish to consider a few minor tweaks to your process list....

Add in a tar remover after the iron x stage. Using clay on larger tar spots doesn't always remove them...more smudges them.

Clean the wheels at the same time as washing/detar, iron x.

There is no need to use the Gyeon Q2m....this is a bit of a waste of an expensive product...it adds a protective layer back onto the paint which you then plan to polish off. This Gyeon product is more for regular maintanance after washing.

Prima Amigo is a hybrid product...although predominently a pre-wax cleaner, it adds a glaze to the polished paintwork and also has abrasives in it (wet n dry grade P3000) which can remove scratches. So you are doubling up using the Megs #205. So change this stage to wiping down the paintwork, after polishing, to an Isoproyl Alcohol (IPA) solution....5% IPA and 95% de-ionized water.

As for waxing over the Blackhole Glaze, this is fine, but not always is it necessary to use a machine to apply the wax. It's often faster and easier to apply the wax manually...especially in tight curved/confined spaces.

I hope this is of some help


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Expert Advice Needed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:30 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:23 pm
Posts: 9940
Location: Woking
As above ^^^ :D

_________________
"The Truth Is Out There!!"
'15 Ford Kuga Titanium X Sport / '14 Audi A5 S-Line Special Edition Cabriolet / '90 Ford Escort XR3i


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Expert Advice Needed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:03 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:36 am
Posts: 8
willington wrote:
You may wish to consider a few minor tweaks to your process list....

Add in a tar remover after the iron x stage. Using clay on larger tar spots doesn't always remove them...more smudges them.

Clean the wheels at the same time as washing/detar, iron x.

There is no need to use the Gyeon Q2m....this is a bit of a waste of an expensive product...it adds a protective layer back onto the paint which you then plan to polish off. This Gyeon product is more for regular maintanance after washing.

Prima Amigo is a hybrid product...although predominently a pre-wax cleaner, it adds a glaze to the polished paintwork and also has abrasives in it (wet n dry grade P3000) which can remove scratches. So you are doubling up using the Megs #205. So change this stage to wiping down the paintwork, after polishing, to an Isoproyl Alcohol (IPA) solution....5% IPA and 95% de-ionized water.

As for waxing over the Blackhole Glaze, this is fine, but not always is it necessary to use a machine to apply the wax. It's often faster and easier to apply the wax manually...especially in tight curved/confined spaces.

I hope this is of some help

many many thanks for your input Willington your advice is duly noted could I please ask if there is anywhere I can get Isoproyl Alcohol locally in Manchester or do you know of a ready mixed product I could use direct from the bottle?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Expert Advice Needed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:51 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:08 pm
Posts: 17400
Location: Abingdon-0n-Thames
One here and another here

Willington may know of others :)

_________________
Another tea-time, another day older
Peugeot 308 e-Hdi Allure, Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Expert Advice Needed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:53 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:36 am
Posts: 8
Ash wrote:
One here and another here

Willington may know of others :)

many thanks Ash will be getting me some Gtechniq PW tomorrow from Autocraze cheers pal




ps
is there a Thanks button anywhere on the forums?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Expert Advice Needed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:10 pm 
The two products which Ash mentioned both work extremely well as they remove all traces of polish residues.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Expert Advice Needed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:47 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:36 am
Posts: 8
willington wrote:
The two products which Ash mentioned both work extremely well as they remove all traces of polish residues.

right guys this is gonna be my new method of getting the car prepped for winter so again any advice will be greatly appreciated whether good or bad as like I say am a complete newbie to all this:
1. Clean Wheels and Tyres.
2. Foam car using Honeydew Snow foam then wait 5 mins.
3. Rinse car using Hose Pipe.
4. Wash car using Citrus wash and gloss using 2 Bucket Method.
5. Rinse car using Hose Pipe.
6. Dry Car.
7. Spray all lower portion of car with Auto Glanz Spar-Tar glue & Tar remover.
8. Rinse car with Hose Pipe.
9. Dry Car.
10. Iron X car then wait 5 mins.
11. Rinse car using Pressure Washer.
12. Clay car using Mitt using Shampoo as Lube.
13. Dry Car.
14. Mask Car.
15. Meguiars 205 using polisher White pad wet pad first Spread using speed 1.5-2 then work up to 4-5
16. IPA Car using GTechniq Panel Wipe
17. Poorboys Black-hole car using polisher White pad wet pad first then use Black pad Spread using speed 1.5-2 then work up to 4-5
18. Wax using Poorboys Natty Paste Wax using Hand Applicator and Microfibre Towels.
JOB DONE.

once again thank you to everybody who helped me get the correct procedure in the right order will deffo get some pics up of the before and after
much respect
Dave


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Expert Advice Needed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:53 pm 
YVW.

I'm pleased that you sought advise, as it will save you both time and money. :D


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Expert Advice Needed
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:21 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:36 am
Posts: 8
right guys here is my new dilemma, unfortunately with poor light and a big black cloud looming over Manchester I didn't have time to complete the job and am only on the polishing stage where I have now polished the bonnet front bumper the roof, half the hatch back and the rear passenger door, will continue tomorrow but wanted to know do i snow foam then carry on polishing or just 2 bucket method wash then continue where I have left off? please please don't tell me I have to start from the beginning cos don't think my arms could make it :(

also could one of you kind gentleman please tell me how many passes I should make with the das pro when polishing and also after initially dampening my hexlogic pad do i have to continue wetting it as the job goes on or is the initial wetting suffice till i finish as when I stopped the pad was still very slightly damp even though I have done over half the car and i didn't overly wet it when i started.

again many many thanks for all your help and advice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Expert Advice Needed
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:26 pm 
Don't worry...your poor arms are safe for another day! :lol:

Just give the areas already polished a quick wash down and then apply the Blackhole and Natty's to them. That way you will protect what you already have achieved.

Then start on the remaining panels where you left off, after a quick rinse down.

It's not unusual at this time of the year to detail one panel at a time, due to the variable weather and shortening daylight.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Expert Advice Needed
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:52 pm 
Offline
Sponge

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:36 am
Posts: 8
willington wrote:
Don't worry...your poor arms are safe for another day! :lol:

Just give the areas already polished a quick wash down and then apply the Blackhole and Natty's to them. That way you will protect what you already have achieved.

Then start on the remaining panels where you left off, after a quick rinse down.

It's not unusual at this time of the year to detail one panel at a time, due to the variable weather and shortening daylight.


kudos to you willington thank you very much for taking the time to reply cheers pal


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group