CleanYourCar
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:12 pm 
Sponge

Hi,
I have 2 separate but connected issues. Black window trim (usually chrome but my BMW has it in black) and roof rails (again black)

The window trim has what is best described as looking like 'oil staining' on the surface. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that when i bought it, so what ever the garage treated it with has clearly gone off. what would be the best way of returning to black & then protecting well?

The roof rails are even more irritating. there are two marks, near the drivers door, that if i was speculating wildly i would suggest were created by the last muppet to change the brake fluid hanging on to the rails while pumping the pedal. I think its painted Al as opposed to anodised so polish is out. how do i get it back to 'all the same black'?

I have scoured the interweb for hours & found many suggestions for exterior plastic but not metal! I hope someone here knows what i'm on about!! A picture would probably help i know, but its chucking it down at the moment, so maybe tomorrow if that'll help...

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum,

it's more than likely that the car has been washed at some point with a Traffic Film Remover (TFA) :twisted: . Main dealers love that stuff :roll: ! It is quite common for these to effect trim on some makes of cars. From what I understand the only long term fix is to replace the said trim :shock: . I would guess the two marks on the rack by the door are sun tan cream.

You could try Autosol anodized aluminium polish but I've never used it so I would do a test spot first. Make sure it's the anodized version and not the standard aluminium polish :!:

Something like that should do the trick but only in the short term

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:03 pm 
Sponge

Thanks Ash, i would have never thought of sun cream!

I've come across TFA before, nasty stuff! Body shops love it too!

I tried to attach a couple of pictures to show progress so far but "board attachment quota has been reached."?? Oh well.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

The board attachment is disabled. You have to use something like Flickr or Photobucket and copy and paste the img tags viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6977

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:10 pm 
Sponge

Roof rail -
Left of join is untreated, right of join i have tried a couple of things on like turtle wax colour magic & armour all. it looks much better but when the sun hits it it stands out like a saw thumb.

B Pillar -
Again left untreated, right similar treatments applied.

Have since this morning given a more thorough polish with TW colour magic & then gone over with something called Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, it looks much better but still far from 'perfect' as you can see.....

I'm awaiting delivery of some Black WOW. then i'm out of ideas again.