CleanYourCar
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Screenwash
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:48 pm 
Sponge

I seem to be on a quest right now to make informed choices and buy decent job-specific products instead of just the cheapest item I can find. That said, I suppose we all want reasonable value for money in our products. The next thing I'm looking at is screenwash. What do you all use? I generally pick up a Halfords ready mixed 5L bottle or a supermarket concentrate 2L but there are no doubt better screenwashes out there.

Angelwax Clarity picks up Auto Express awards so it must be pretty good. Its highly concentrated at 19:1 for Summer, 9:1 for Autumn & Spring and then 4:1 for Winter.

Come Winter though, thats a whole bottle to fill up each car just once. Is it really good enough to warrant a tenner for that? Also this might be a silly question, but do you use the same screenwash all year round (obviously concentrated as per season) or have a different one for the changing seasons?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Screenwash
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:49 am 
Site Admin

At present I'm using Sonax Xtreme Clear View Nano Concentrate here. Which I'm very happy with and it's makes 25 litres of wash :D . It's not for the winter but I believe they make one for that as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:09 am 
The concentration of screenwash really does depend upon whether or not you have already a glass sealant upon it. For example, the Anglewax Clarity contains a glass sealant, aswell as a glass cleaner...so this could explain why it is expensive.

However, to keep costs down, seal the screen with something like Angelwax's H2GO and the effects of ice and snow won't have such a drastic effect. Then you can use a far higher diluted screenwash even in the winter months.

Many of the screenwash's have an alcohol base in them, and these should be avoided if your screen is already sealed...the alcohol can strip the protective coating.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Peter makes some very good points.

I use Angelwax's H2GO which is one of the reasons I use the Sonax Xtreme Clear View Nano Concentrate as it doesn't contain alcohol. It seems to have no bad effects on my paint sealant either :D

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:53 pm 
I also have a screen wash concentrate, called 'Oneshot', which also applies a glass sealant aswell as cleans and washes. One small bottle per 4 litre wash bottle.

Don't need to use this now as the H2Go on my screen does a great job on it's own.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:21 pm 
Sponge

Thanks for the replies. So you Sonax summer users have to remember to change to a different screenwash for winter? Sounds like a bit of a pain if there are plenty of good all rounders on the market. Every answer seems to bring up more questions so bear with me as I've never even heard of window sealant until recently!

Is it really worth sealing your windows, does it have a noticeable impact? If you do this, how often should it be done?

So say you've sealed your windscreen using something like H2GO, can you then use virtually any screenwash (that doesn't contain alcohol) and is using the two seperate products better value then buying a combined wash/sealant like Angelwax Clarity?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:26 pm 
There are quite a few glass screen sealants...H2Go being just one of them. To give you some idea of how effective they are....2 coats of H2Go, after 3 months, driving in the rain at 20mph with no wipers on...the rain was shooting off my screen on its own accord.

Dependent upon how much you use the car and under what conditions, I would expect 2 applications to last 3 months. Now this sounds a lot, but it isn't ....I have has a small bottle of this product for 3 years and it's still just over half full...not bad for about £5 and far cheaper than a combined wash/sealant. Additionally, you can use a regular screen wash, not even at Higher ratio's winter use, without issues. The glass sealant smooths over the screen making it almost impossible for water to adhere to it...hence no icing up and frost just falls away.

Don't just seal your front glass, use it on each glass panel and your wing mirrors.

PS...I also use a glass sealant on my shower screen and chrome/brass bathroom fittings...makes it so much easier to keep clean and the fittings don't tarnish or corode.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:17 pm 
Sponge

Bump. I never did get round to buying anything other than Halfords / supermarket screenwash so am looking to order some stuff for winter. The Halfords ready mixed stuff seems rubbish, I end up spraying it on a minute after I've already done it. Hey, its Winter and maybe I am expecting too much, but surely you shouldn't be spraying screenwash on almost non stop every journey! Just trying to make sense of all the posts so far. . .

So, it seems that sealing all windows with something like Angelwax H2GO is a good idea. But if I do seal them then I should avoid screenwash with an alcohol base, and Sonax Xtreme Clear View Nano concentrate is recommended BUT for Summer use only? If they do a Winter version then I can't find it. Does one exist? Otherwise what other alcohol free screenwashes are good for sealed glass?

Also I saw that the 32ml mini bottles of Wurth Rapid Windscreen Cleaner came out well in one recent list. The 'shot' type ones where you empty the whole bottle then fill up the tank with water. Any fans of these on here?

Thanks for your help !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:40 pm 
Let's take this step by step:

Winter screen wash generally contains alcohol/anti-freeze...and stops the washer bottle and pipes freezing up. In addition to this, the lower freezing point of alcohol, prevents water freezing on the screen itself.

By using winter screen wash, you run the risk of stripping any glass sealant and at the same time, drying out the wiper blades.

Using a glass sealant prevents water adhering to the screen and improves visibility. This sealant also prevents frost and ice forming on the glass.

So, a simple solution is available....wrap the washer bottle and pipes in foil (or buy a washer system heating unit), seal the glass and use summer grade screen wash.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:01 pm 
Sponge

Thanks. So, wrap the washer pipes & bottle in foil for winter, seal the windows and just use any screenwash? Sonax Xtreme Clear View Nano concentrate is mentioned a lot, I guess this or the mini 'shot' bottles would both be fine?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:38 pm 
Sponge

So Winter is nearly over, I've ordered some Sonax Xtreme Clear View Nano Concentrate. Seems this is very popular for Spring / Summer use. I stuck with Halfords purple concentrate for winter but maybe next time round I will think about sealing the glass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

Dave79 wrote:
So Winter is nearly over, I've ordered some Sonax Xtreme Clear View Nano Concentrate. Seems this is very popular for Spring / Summer use. I stuck with Halfords purple concentrate for winter but maybe next time round I will think about sealing the glass

Good move. I used it all through the winter and was lucky enough for it not to freeze at all. I think it was due to having Angelwax H2GO on the screen and I keep my car in the garage :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:15 am 
Sponge

Well I finally got round to buying some H2Go. Is 2 coats of this best, i.e. Apply the stuff, wait a while, buff it off, then do the exact same a second time?

Must admit I am looking forward to seeing the rain clear of its own accord and minimising the effects of ice as I leave for work at 5am. Waiting for a screen to clear at that time of day is NOT fun at all. Sometimes put a grey plastic sheet over the windscreen the night before but it's just another thing to have to remember !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:34 am 
Sponge

Ok, 2 coats of H2Go applied to one car for now. Amazingly it has not yet rained whilst I've been driving for me to see it in action. So my options now are to either wrap the washer bottle & pipes in foil and continue using the Sonax Xtreme Clear View Nano Concentrate right through winter, or to use a winter screenwash, that is if one exists that doesn't contain alcohol which would strip the H2Go coating off? Car is not kept in garage overnight.

What screenwash do you use on sealed windows?

Meanwhile, as this is not sealed yet (will do after next wash), I topped up the other car with what was left of the Halfords purple concentrate bottle and I've just remembered how useless it is. #-o

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

Dave79 wrote:
Ok, 2 coats of H2Go applied to one car for now. Amazingly it has not yet rained whilst I've been driving for me to see it in action. So my options now are to either wrap the washer bottle & pipes in foil and continue using the Sonax Xtreme Clear View Nano Concentrate right through winter, or to use a winter screenwash, that is if one exists that doesn't contain alcohol which would strip the H2Go coating off? Car is not kept in garage overnight.

What screenwash do you use on sealed windows?

Meanwhile, as this is not sealed yet (will do after next wash), I topped up the other car with what was left of the Halfords purple concentrate bottle and I've just remembered how useless it is. #-o

Sonax do this but it's hard to find http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-an ... _1310.html