CleanYourCar
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wheel Sealant Mini Test
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:53 pm 
Waffle Weave Master

As there are so many wheel sealants and other combinations of LSPs that can be used on Alloys I decided to trial a few on the daily drive to see if there was much difference and maybe ultimately settle for just one (until something new comes out that is). I have tried loads over the years but decided to settle on a few that I come back to, with the addition of one that I have only tried once before but was very impressed with. So the candidates were:

1. Chemical Guys Wheel Guard.
2. Zaino Z-CS.
3. Planet Polish Wheel Seal + Shine.
4. SRP/FK1000P

To keep things simple I will give a brief summary of what I think are the main areas when looking for a Wheel Sealant and then ultimately score them. Each wheel was cleaned fully with Megs Wheel Brightener and then clayed to give a good base for the product under test and each product has 2x layers.

Ease of Use

CG Wheel Guard:

The GC Wheel Guard is easy to apply, and then it is left to haze before removing. It is fairly easy to remove as well. However I did find out of the 4 this was the trickiest in terms of application as it didn’t always spread that well meaning it could be trickier to remove sometimes, but this wasn’t a huge problem.

Zaino-CS:

This has to be the easiest to apply – simply spray on and leave according to the instructions. Admittedly once I had sprayed it on the wheel, I then spread the product lightly using a MF to ensure an even coverage but even so it was very easy to work with.

Plant Polish WS+S:

This was the second easiest to apply – as it went on nice and easy with a Foam Applicator, was left to haze and came off very easy. Not much else to say really as it was so easy and very nice to use.

SRP/FK1000P

I picked this combo as I have found it worked well in the past. However the biggest problem here is the application as it requires 3x applications – 1x SRP and 2x FK1000P. You could simply use the FK1000P, however I wanted to make sure it had a good base and also provided some ‘polishing’ action such as the CG Wheel Guard to make a comparison. The SRP went on fine, and came off easy enough as did the FK1000P however it did take the longest out of the 4 and required additional applicators so this was the most time consuming out of the four.

Durability

Too early to tell as they have only been on for about 3-4 weeks so there is very very little between them; however as a rough guide for now I would say the Planet Polish WS+S and the SRP/FK1000P are equal, with the CG Wheel Guard very close behind and the Zaino Z-CS very close again.

Watch this space for an update towards Christmas.

Looks

Again in terms of looks it was all very close (hence the lack of photos) and if I am brutally honest there was very little in it. IMO the Zaino offered the best looks as it was glossier when compared to the others. I would then say the Planet Polish followed by the CG WG and SRP/FK1000P following closely behind.

Like I say it was very tough to really differentiate between them in terms of looks IMO but then maybe it’s just my eyes!

Conclusion.

My initial thoughts are swaying towards the Planet Polish Wheel Sealant and Shine as it is well priced (the cheapest) compared to the others, easy to use, great looks and so far offering good durability.

If you are looking for a WO/WO product for your paintwork as well then the Zaino Z-CS maybe the best choice as it avoids buying another product, however I am not sure I would recommend this purely for wheels due to the price and (the not quite so good, but still good) durability.

The FK1000P/SRP combo is also very good, with good looks and great durability but is that bit more fiddly than say the Planet Polish in terms of application. But again if you already have these products and use them on your paintwork plus don’t mind spending a bit more time then this is a very good choice.

Again the CG Wheel Guard is good, with nice looks, and good durability. It is also easy enough to use but the others beat it in this area. If you are after a dedicated wheel sealant then I would recommend the Planet Polish over this one in teems of price, durability and ease of use.

I will do a full conclusion once the durability results are in, however none of the above will disappoint IMO and all offer great looks and protection for your wheels.

(Pending durability tests)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:59 pm 
Nice write up, cheers =D> I look forward to the durability results.

I have always found PB wheel sealant absolutely superb with regards to application, removal, appearance and durability however, I've not tested it against others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:41 pm 
Waffle Weave Master

I found the Poorboys slightly better in terms of durability than the CG and was easier to apply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:06 pm 
Ruler of the Fluffy

Interesting read. I'm quite keen to try some of the Planet Polish products.

I've been using (whatever) polish and Finish Kare 1000P on my white wheels, purely because they are body coloured and the same paint as the rest of the car. I use AG EGP on silver wheels and really like it. When stocks get low, I think I'll consider Planet Polish product.

How does it compare to the Chemical Guys Wheel Sealant as a product? I really don't like the Chemical Guys product for application or removal.

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/#detailing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:30 am 
Wash Mitt Wonder

Very interesting read. I am intrigued by this Plant Polish :)

Follow us on Twitter & Facebook for regular updates...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:19 pm 
Sponge

I bought planet polish wheel seal and shine beginning of last year and was very impressed with it on my ceramic polished alloys.
However now it need to order more I can’t find it anymore and some googling tells me the company has been dissolved ... shame.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:18 pm 
Sponge

ajpepe72 wrote:
I bought planet polish wheel seal and shine beginning of last year and was very impressed with it on my ceramic polished alloys.
However now it need to order more I can’t find it anymore and some googling tells me the company has been dissolved ... shame.

I use and like PP WS&S. The website seems broken right now, but their shop is alive and well on ebay:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/planetpolish?_ ... 7675.l2563